Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Marc Sturlese <ma...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/12 19:28:54 UTC

indexing data and deleting from index and database

Hey there,
Since few weeks ago I am trying to migrate my lucene core app to Solr and
many questions are coming to my mind...
Before being in ApacheCon I thought that my Lucene Index works fine with my
Solr Search Engine but after my conversation with Erik in the Solr BootCamp
I understood that the structure of the Fields in the Solr Index are
different, specially in analyzing stuff.

Now, I want to use Solr to index too and I have some questions:
The first thing I do when I launch the indexer is to delete a lot of
documents that I have marked in a db with a field delete=1 that I have
indexed before in the Lucene Index.
Once it is done, I also delete the documents from the DB.
After that, I index some docs from the same DB (the 100.000 newest Docs and
some other modifieds).

To do the migration I have started using DataImportHandler  (with
JDBCDataSource) with Delta Import to add new documents. The thing is that I
can not find a way to delete the rows from the DB neither the docs from my
index with DataImportHandler.

Is to do an implementation of the DataSource the best way to do this task?
Is there a better way?

Thanks for everything!!!

Re: indexing data and deleting from index and database

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@gmail.com>.
The JdbcDataSource can run any query even updates and deletes

--
--Noble Paul

Re: indexing data and deleting from index and database

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@gmail.com>.
DIH can delete rows from the index. look at the 'deletedPkQuery' option .
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DataImportHandler#head-70d3fdda52de9ee4fdb54e1c6f84199f0e1caa76

Deleting from the DB is not possible for DIH . but you can write a
transformer or Entityprocessor which can do that.

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 11:58 PM, Marc Sturlese <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey there,
> Since few weeks ago I am trying to migrate my lucene core app to Solr and
> many questions are coming to my mind...
> Before being in ApacheCon I thought that my Lucene Index works fine with my
> Solr Search Engine but after my conversation with Erik in the Solr BootCamp
> I understood that the structure of the Fields in the Solr Index are
> different, specially in analyzing stuff.
>
> Now, I want to use Solr to index too and I have some questions:
> The first thing I do when I launch the indexer is to delete a lot of
> documents that I have marked in a db with a field delete=1 that I have
> indexed before in the Lucene Index.
> Once it is done, I also delete the documents from the DB.
> After that, I index some docs from the same DB (the 100.000 newest Docs and
> some other modifieds).
>
> To do the migration I have started using DataImportHandler  (with
> JDBCDataSource) with Delta Import to add new documents. The thing is that I
> can not find a way to delete the rows from the DB neither the docs from my
> index with DataImportHandler.
>
> Is to do an implementation of the DataSource the best way to do this task?
> Is there a better way?
>
> Thanks for everything!!!

--Noble Paul

Re: indexing data and deleting from index and database

Posted by Daniel Gimenez <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi!
I have a similar problem but I don't have the solution for now. I will send
my progress.