Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Zein Dowe <zb...@gmx.net> on 2002/09/26 09:37:53 UTC

[newbie] ESQL Error Handling

Hi,

i got some questions about the esql logicsheet from cocoon.
I suppose the first one is easy to answer:

1. How can i count the number of rows from the result of my query?

The second one seems quit more difficult to me (but i am a newbie and know
nothing ;-):

2. How can I handle the exception which is thrown if the database connection
fails?

If i get it right, this kind of exception is handled by cocoon itself and
not
by the esql-logicsheet. So how can i prevent that the ugly cocoon exception
window pops up and, instead of that, show a message which
says that the connection process has failed?

If somebody knows the answers or has some suggestions, i would be
very grateful if you share them with me.

regards,
Zein

--
Werden Sie mit uns zum "OnlineStar 2002"! Jetzt GMX wählen -
und tolle Preise absahnen! http://www.onlinestar.de

Re: [newbie] ESQL Error Handling

Posted by Zein <zb...@gmx.net>.
Thank you for your help!
Now everything does what it has to do.

Zein

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
On 26.Sep.2002 -- 09:37 AM, Zein Dowe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i got some questions about the esql logicsheet from cocoon.
> I suppose the first one is easy to answer:
>
> 1. How can i count the number of rows from the result of my query?

There's a row-count tag but it works only with some cases. You saftest
bet is to count the rows as you retrieve them. If you need paging or
something, esql provides a limit clause. See docs and search this list.

> The second one seems quit more difficult to me (but i am a newbie and know
> nothing ;-):
>
> 2. How can I handle the exception which is thrown if the database connection
> fails?

You can override the error handler in your sitemap.

Other errors can be handled in the <esql:error-results/>
block. Connection errors not, I'm afraid.

	Chris.

Please follow up summarizing your problem and which suggested solution
/ information worked for you when you consider your problem
solved. Add "SUMMARY: " to the subject line. This will make FAQ
generation and searching the list easier. In addition, it makes
helping you more fun. Thank you.

--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l
haul@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de