Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Ravisankar Mani <rr...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/10 12:49:39 UTC

Spark performance

Hi everyone,

I have planned to move mssql server to spark?.  I have using around 50,000
to 1l records.
 The spark performance is slow when compared to mssql server.

What is the best data base(Spark or sql) to store or retrieve data around
50,000 to 1l records ?

regards,
Ravi

Re: Spark performance

Posted by Jörn Franke <jo...@gmail.com>.
What is your business case for the move?

Re: Spark performance

Posted by Jörn Franke <jo...@gmail.com>.

RE: Spark performance

Posted by Mohammed Guller <mo...@glassbeam.com>.
Good points, Michael.

The underlying assumption in my statement is that cost is an issue. If cost is not an issue and the only requirement is to query structured data, then there are several databases such as Teradata, Exadata, and Vertica that can handle 4-6 TB of data and outperform Spark.

Mohammed

Posted by Michael Segel <ms...@hotmail.com>.
Not necessarily.

RE: Spark performance

Posted by Mohammed Guller <mo...@glassbeam.com>.
Hi Roman,

Re: Spark performance

Posted by David Mitchell <jd...@gmail.com>.

RE: Spark performance

Posted by Roman Sokolov <ol...@gmail.com>.
Hello. Had the same question. What if I need to store 4-6 Tb and do
queries? Can't find any clue in documentation.
Am 11.07.2015 03:28 schrieb "Mohammed Guller" <mo...@glassbeam.com>:

>  Hi Ravi,
>
> First, Neither Spark nor Spark SQL is a database. Both are compute
> engines, which need to be paired with a storage system. Seconds, they are
> designed for processing large distributed datasets. If you have only
> 100,000 records or even a million records, you don’t need Spark. A RDBMS
> will perform much better for that volume of data.
>

> Mohammed

Re: Spark performance

Posted by sa...@gmail.com.
Ravi

Spark (or in that case Big Data solutions like Hive) is suited for large analytical loads, where the “scaling  up” starts to pale in comparison to “Scaling out” with regards to performance, versatility(types of data) and cost. Without going into the details of MsSQL architecture, there is an inflection point in terms of cost(licensing), performance and Maintainability where open Source commodity platform would start to become viable albeit sometimes at the expense of slower performance. With 1 million records ,  I am not sure you are reaching that point to justify a Spark cluster. So why are you planning to move away from MSSql and move to Spark as the destination platform?

You said “Spark performance” is slow as compared to MSSql. What kind of load are you running and what kind of querying are you performing? There may be startup costs associated with running the Map side of the querying.

If your testing to understand Spark, can you post what you are currently doing (queries, table structures, compression and storage optimizations)? That way, we could look at suggesting optimizations but again, not to compare with MsSQL, but to improve Spark side of things.

Again, to quote someone who answered earlier in the thread, What is your ‘Use case’?

-Santosh

Sent from Windows Mail

Honestly you are addressing this wrongly - you do not seem.to have a business case for changing - so why do you want to switch

Re: Spark performance

Posted by Jörn Franke <jo...@gmail.com>.

RE: Spark performance

Posted by Mohammed Guller <mo...@glassbeam.com>.