Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl> on 2012/11/22 08:51:47 UTC

Rushing into Git

Hi,

At least one vital service (the website) is more than just a SVN repo.
A post-commit hook activates the 'buildbot' on every commit. How will
this be 'translated' when the Git move happens? Do we have access to
the buildbot outside the SVN infrastructure?

Do we know which other services (commit emails, access control etc.)
are not (easily) transferred to a Git workflow

If not, a big -1 on the move at this time, as the Apache organisation
obviously just isn't ready to support - technically, legally and
certainly not 'in spirit' - Git as an alternative to Subversion.

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Rushing into Git

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Great Omar! ;)

can you please vote the ticket here so we can get as much relevance as
possible to make this happen?

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewVoters!default.jspa?id=12617235

Thanks!

Carlos

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: Rushing into Git

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.

Re: Rushing into Git

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Well, there are a 'few' things the project and it's contributors need
to do themselves after graduation:

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#project-first-steps

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Rushing into Git

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.

Re: Rushing into Git

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Ok, I thought it could entail less work for infra, but if it's the opposite
it's clear that it's not recomendable. I just delete my comment in the
ticket about the graduation.

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: Rushing into Git

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Rushing into Git

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

Re: Rushing into Git

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Erik,

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: Rushing into Git

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 12:56 AM, Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl> wrote:

> I'm not convinced at all this will work out well for the project, with
> the graduation coming up soon (which will mean moving and changing a
> lot of stuff in SVN and elsewhere) and all. But I'll shut up about
> this (for now).

Like I said earlier, I don't think this will affect graduation. We could
have used the graduation as an opportunity to request from Apache INFRA
that the move to Git happen now to avoid having to go through the process
again. However, I don't think its wise to complicate the graduation further
by making that request now. In my talks with Apache INFRA they made it
clear they would like more Python devs to help facilitate the bug fixing in
the Apache Git admin tool and to support projects moving to Git.

> Maybe you can do me (and other doubters and SVN aficionados) and write
> up the current status of the move, the planned actions for the move
> and the implications of the move for contributors, committers and the
> project in general?
>
> Thanks,
>
> EdB

The status of the move is that we need someone proficient in Python to
volunteer so that we may submit a request for our read/write Apache Git
repo. I purchased a Python book last week and will have two weeks off in
December during which I plan on going through that book some more and start
looking at trying to start to submit patches for the git admin tool. If we
could find another Python dev before I can become useful on this front then
that would be great.

Once we have someone positioned for that we can start the discussion with
Apache INFRA, at which point we can learn more about the planning and
effects of the move on the rest of the committers. I would suggest that at
that point we would examine the workflows that other Apache projects are
already using with their read/write Git repos to apply the workflow we
voted for on Git.

This is why I said this is not going to be rushed into. It is still going
to take some time to get all our ducks lined up, so to speak.

-omar

Re: Rushing into Git

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
I'm not convinced at all this will work out well for the project, with
the graduation coming up soon (which will mean moving and changing a
lot of stuff in SVN and elsewhere) and all. But I'll shut up about
this (for now).

Maybe you can do me (and other doubters and SVN aficionados) and write
up the current status of the move, the planned actions for the move
and the implications of the move for contributors, committers and the
project in general?

Thanks,

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Rushing into Git

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Carlos,

Just a heads up that this week is a major holiday in the USA, so responses
may be slow through next Monday. Many on infra are out of the US.

Re: Rushing into Git

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Frédéric,

the motivation behind this movement is "make community", that's open source
works today. Git, Github, and other tools like this are created to make
easy for people to contribute, and things are working in lots of well-known
projects out side here.

Take into account that most people voted for the change because most people
in this project make the switch to Git and prefer Git. So "drastic change"
will not be really accurate since people wanting to stay in svn is minority
as vote results show. There's others that want to try Git as they see all
people talking about it and really doesn't know why Git could be better.

"Infra doesn't feel well with git" is something that we talked about and
could not be real, and only a problem of resources at Infra. If Infra start
with our ticket because they can (or maybe because someone in this project
can help with Git admin) I think they does not matter if we can better
mirroring or real git support, they will end asking us what we really want
to close the ticket.

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: Rushing into Git

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: Rushing into Git

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: Rushing into Git

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Rushing into Git

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Rushing into Git

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.

Re: Rushing into Git

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as> wrote:
> ...Those 46 repos are read only... They do not sync back to the main project.
> I think even our project is listed there...

You are confusing https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf - Git repos
for projects that use Git @asf as their main repository

with http://git.apache.org/ which lists read-only mirrors

-Bertrand

Re: Rushing into Git

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Nicholas,

That's not true. I'm referring to this URL:

http://flume.apache.org/source.html

We are not listed there. And all projects there has full Git apache support
(read/write)

i.e: Apache Flume -> http://flume.apache.org/source.html

Re: Rushing into Git

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Carlos,

Rushing into Git

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
I don't know if it the best of both world as I didn't try everything but
this combination worked pretty well for us.

- Fred.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
The best of both worlds?

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Rushing into Git

Re: Rushing into Git

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Bertrand,

Re: Rushing into Git

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Rushing into Git

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Omar,

Re: Rushing into Git

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
On Thursday, November 22, 2012, Erik de Bruin wrote:

> Omar,
>
> As a PPMC member I'm aware that this isn't a vote. My full statement
> ended "at this time" and I was using -1 as an abbreviation to
> emphasise my opinion.
>
> From the threads here and on the private list I get the feeling that
> at least one of our mentors has reservations about the legal standing
> of Git repos in relation to Apache.org.

Those concerns have been expressed before, during, and after the vote. It
obviously did not deter either the community or the PPMC.

> Furthermore, at least in the
> INFRA circles, the reports are that no one is enthusiastic about Git
> and they are (as is obvious from their lack of action on JIRA tickets)
> unwilling to support it. This means that if we make the move now (<-
> note this qualifier), we're likely to be "on our own". I'm not sure
> that risking the loss of INFRA support is a wise thing for a project
> just about to graduate…
>
> EdB

By this logic Infra would be unenthusiastic about any request from Infra.
Their lack of movement stems from a lack of human resources, we are all
volunteers here, and lack of extra support on the Git side. The mere fact
that they are asking for more volunteers on the Git admin from shows their
interest in moving this initiative forward.

Moving to Git would entail a separate request from Infra, which has nothing
to do with the IPMC, the group that would be approving our graduation. The
worst that could happen is Infra denies our request for read/write apache
Git repo. We would never be "on our own" however as its the role of Apache

Re: Rushing into Git

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Omar,

As a PPMC member I'm aware that this isn't a vote. My full statement
ended "at this time" and I was using -1 as an abbreviation to
emphasise my opinion.

>From the threads here and on the private list I get the feeling that
at least one of our mentors has reservations about the legal standing
of Git repos in relation to Apache.org. Furthermore, at least in the

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Rushing into Git

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.

Re: Rushing into Git

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
On Wednesday, November 21, 2012, Erik de Bruin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At least one vital service (the website) is more than just a SVN repo.
> A post-commit hook activates the 'buildbot' on every commit. How will
> this be 'translated' when the Git move happens? Do we have access to
> the buildbot outside the SVN infrastructure?
>
> Do we know which other services (commit emails, access control etc.)
> are not (easily) transferred to a Git workflow
>
> If not, a big -1 on the move at this time, as the Apache organisation
> obviously just isn't ready to support - technically, legally and
> certainly not 'in spirit' - Git as an alternative to Subversion.
>
> EdB
>

> --
> Ix Multimedia Software
>
> Jan Luykenstraat 27
> 3521 VB Utrecht
>
> T. 06-51952295
> I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Can't really -1 a vote that already happened and passed. Not to mention
it's not currently up for vote.

In regards to the website, because of the way the commit hooks work that
part of the project stays in SvN. At least that's my understanding from the
threads I'm following.

-omar