Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Isuru Suriarachchi <is...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/20 12:53:34 UTC

Tailing capability for VFS log Receiver in Chainsaw

Hi Paul and Scott,

I'm was talking about implementing tailing capability in the VFS log
Receiver as a GSoC project. I went through the documentations and tried the
samples in Chainsaw. And also I looked at the implementation in
VFSLogFilePatternReceiver using commons-vfs.

Currently I'm working on writing the proposal for the project. It should
contain the following topics.

Synopsis
Deliverables
Project Details
Project Plan
and some details about my self

I have come up with some doubts. Can you tell me the exact scope of the
project with all the functionality required from this tailing capability, as
I should mention it in the proposal. I wonder whether this is enough for
GSoC. (This can be due to my less understanding on the project. correct me
if it is the case) Because the time period is about 2-3 months.

If you can send me some sort of a detailed description with the exact scope
of the project considering the time period of the project it will help me a
lot to write the proposal clearly. Please consider the above topics which
should be included in the proposal.

thanks,
~Isuru

Re: Tailing capability for VFS log Receiver in Chainsaw

Posted by Isuru Suriarachchi <is...@gmail.com>.
Hi Scott,

I submitted the proposal with all the new changes...

On 3/22/07, Scott Deboy <sd...@comotivsystems.com> wrote:

> Added to the wiki and applied as a mentor.

Thanks a lot,
~Isuru

Scott Deboy

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.
Well I'm really glad someone has taken an interest in Chainsaw.  The
VFS tailing feature of ssh is personally one I'd love, because we
could really use it here at Aconex.

Along that note, and to get you thinking (and planning for our
Logging setup here at Aconex), that the VFS receiver with tailing
capability should be able to be given a "last X Mb" feature.  Some of
our log files are large, so if I want to attach Chainsaw to it, I'm
really only generally interested in some time period close to the
period I connect, so grabbing the last X Mbytes into Chainsaw and
then tailing is a nice feature without having to swallow the entire log.

Posted by Isuru Suriarachchi <is...@gmail.com>.
Hi paul,

Yes. The projects are in an approval stage and the mentors are voting
for the proposals. So the proposals with highest points will be
approved and announced on 11th of April 2007.
I think you have already assigned yourself as my mentor. Thanks very
much for your interest in this. And also some others have given me
some points.
Actually there is nothing left which you haven't done. :-) But I think
I'll need some more points and hopefully some other mentors will vote
for me.

Thanks,
~Isuru

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.

Posted by Isuru Suriarachchi <is...@gmail.com>.
Hi paul,

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.

Posted by Isuru Suriarachchi <is...@gmail.com>.
Hi Scott and Paul,

Posted by Isuru Suriarachchi <is...@gmail.com>.
Hi Scott,

Posted by Scott Deboy <sd...@comotivsystems.com>.

www.comotivsystems.com <http://www.comotivsystems.com/>

________________________________

Posted by Scott Deboy <sd...@comotivsystems.com>.
Re: receiver creation panel:

-        You can't save a configuration created by the receiver creation
panel

-        A name should be required (otherwise you can't manage it)

-        The UI is a bit awkward to use

Also, functionality is king, but making it look a little better would be
nice (that goes for the whole app, not just the receiver panel).

Also, the ability to hide or show (and remember on restart) zeroconf,
drag & drop and welcome tabs would be nice (we can hide & show the
welcome tab now, but I don't think it's remembered on restart).

sdeboy@comotivsystems.com <ma...@comotivsystems.com>

Posted by Isuru Suriarachchi <is...@gmail.com>.
Hi Scott,