Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2005/12/21 23:21:04 UTC

sender-valid SMTP callbacks (Re: Does "tuxorama.com" sound familiar to anyone?)

Re: sender-valid SMTP callbacks (Does "tuxorama.com" sound familiar to anyone?)

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Matt Kettler wrote on Wed, 21 Dec 2005 18:16:43 -0500:

> So I don't think this really changes much about spam, aside from perhaps
> encouraging spammers to clean their lists.

Do they "clean" their lists? It seems to a certain point, yes. Although it
just seems they push all the stuff out and don't even get notice of what is
rejected. Over the past months I developed the impression that domains
which just except "everything" (no "rejection-type" spam protection at MTA,
catch-all alias) are attracting more spam and are more likely to be abused
for joe-jobs than others. But this is only based on a few domains and may
be coincidence.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Re: sender-valid SMTP callbacks (Re: Does "tuxorama.com" sound familiar to anyone?)

Posted by Rick Macdougall <ri...@ummm-beer.com>.
Matt Kettler wrote:
> Realistically, most spam I get seems to be using addresses that are already in
> the spammer's database of "valid" email addresses. While I see a lot of viruses
> using dictionary based MAIL FROM addresses, I see very little spam doing this.
>
> So I don't think this really changes much about spam, aside from perhaps
> encouraging spammers to clean their lists.

My system would disagree with you for the last 3 days :)

We've been under a constant bounce bombardment of bounced spams (from
f*cking idiot admins who can't understand that you do not bounce after
accepting, sorry for the language) where the majority of user names are
roger[a-z][a-z]@example.com (where roger is any valid name).

We had one advance MX server that usually ran 32 connections out of 120
and now we've had to bring on 3 additional servers all running 300
connections and we've had to turn off SA processing because the incoming
load is just too high.

I'd really like to take a bat to the knees of the spammer doing this AND
the mail admins who bounce after accepting.

Just my $0.02

Rick

Re: sender-valid SMTP callbacks (Re: Does "tuxorama.com" sound familiar to anyone?)

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Justin Mason wrote:

> Hey Matt --
>
> fwiw, I find them pretty inoffensive in and of themselves; however, from a
> game-theory point of view, their effects are lousy.
>
> This, and other methods that attempt to fight spam by validating an email
> address' validity, don't necessarily try to validate that the email was
> *sent* by that address; just that the address exists.

True.. I don't defend it as a particularly effective or valid method, but I also
am not bothered by empty connections checking to see if an address is deliverable.

Realistically, this is a very minor problem. Compared to the six-billion other
network abuse attempts I get here each week, these are very much in the noise.

It makes me wonder how closely such admins watch their systems. There's a lot
more worrisome stuff going on out there than this.