Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2017/12/01 09:09:05 UTC

Using SLF4J as a logging facade; Re: Disagreement on Log4J2

Folks

It is going to be unpleasant but we need to revisit a highly
contentious issue of the choice of a logging APIs for HttpClient 5.0.

I personally like Log4J2 and generally am a satisfied user of the
toolkit. However, Log4J2 logging facade APIs did accumulate a lot of
stuff that in my opinion should not have been there in the first place.
 This bothers me.

A more immediate problem with Log4J2, though, is that its logging APIs
do not play nicely with Android. Whether or not this is Log4J2 fault is
not for me to say but presently HttpClient 5.0 is incompatible with
Android due to its dependency on Log4J2 logging APIs. It is also
unclear whether this incompatibility could be resolved and when. See LO
G4J2-2133 [1] for details.

At this point while HttpClient 5.0 is still ALPHA we could switch to
SLF4J and personally think we should. Log4J2 would still be the
preferred and the default toolkit for HttpClient 5.0 though the logging
interface would be SLF4J, not Log4J2 logging APIs.

Please share your thoughts.

Oleg

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2133

Re: Using SLF4J as a logging facade; Re: Disagreement on Log4J2

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
You are going to have the same problem with Slf4j 1.8 IIRC.

Gary

Posted by V Cekvenich <vi...@gmail.com>.
ftw - I'm a user of lib, not a committer.
I want to use as few jars as possible, and log4j2 plain is simpler for me.
Core beta already does it and plan was to do it w/ client beta.
I'm not sure why a new dependency is being added here. Lo4j2 I think can be
used with SLF4J without this project doing anything.
hth

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2018-01-13 um 11:50 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
> On January 13, 2018 11:26:01 AM GMT+01:00, Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> Michael
>>>
>>> Will this settle the issue for you?
>>
>> It does, but I rather expected to have a discussion. Not overcome by
>> events of the Android incompat. Though, it should be fine for now.
> There was nothing stopping you from participating, was there? Besides Android compatibility was a manifestation of a larger issue and not the only or the main factor and could have been resolved given a bit of time.

I did start the discussion "Disagreement on Log4J2", but there were no
reactions from the community.

Michael

Re: Using SLF4J as a logging facade; Re: Disagreement on Log4J2

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@ok2consulting.com>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2018-01-10 um 15:12 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
> On Wed, 2018-01-10 at 06:53 -0700, Gary Gregory wrote:
>> I am a disappointed but I understand.
>>
>> Gary
>>

> Michael
>
> Will this settle the issue for you?

It does, but I rather expected to have a discussion. Not overcome by
events of the Android incompat. Though, it should be fine for now.

> I remember you were also unhappy about a number of other things,
> exception handling being among them. _Now_ would be the time to deal
> with whatever you deem wrong with HC 5.0 APIs.

  I vaguely remember that, you memory serves you better than mine. Can
you point me to the discussion? I will have a look at it.

Michael

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.