Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Nikhil V Thaker <ni...@us.ibm.com> on 2008/03/05 17:59:11 UTC

[axis2] [proposal] JIRA AXIS2-3568

I would like to propose a change to handle certain situations in jaxws
where we need to postpone the must understand header check from the
AxisEngine to the MessageReceiver. For example, in case of jaxws handler,
an application can choose to implement getHeaders() and choose to add
valid header qnames in that implementation. A mustUnderstand validation
needs to happen for this scenario as described in section 10.2.1 of jaxws
specification, in this situation if the jaxws handlers are not loaded, the
must understand checks has to be postponed from AxisEngine until the
handler are loaded and available in jaxws implementation.

Currently all the must understand processing happens in AxisEngine's
receive() method, I would like to provide a facility in AxisEngine code
where we can choose to delegate MustUnderstand Check to a Message
Receiver. I would like to propose addition of a new interface called
MessageReceiverExtension in Kernel module which has a method
isMustUnderstandCheckPostponed, this new interface will be implemented by
JAXWSMessageReceiver and will help in making the runtime decision to
postpone must understand check in AxisEngine code.

I had made this proposal back in October 08 and here's the link to that
email, http://markmail.org/message/zzqgh535slhpmkbz this email has the
attachment for original patch. Here is the link to the JIRA issue
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-3568

Nikhil Thaker
office: 512 838 9964
nvthaker@us.ibm.com

Re: [axis2] [proposal] JIRA AXIS2-3568

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.
Glen Daniels wrote:
> I'm basically fine with this, since the default MU check happens right
> before the call to the MessageReceiver anyway.  However, I don't like
> the "MessageReceiverExtension" name - it's not at all informative
> IMHO.  How about "MustUnderstandChecker"?  And rather than having the
> engine do both an instanceof and a method call, can we just do the
> instanceof?
>
>   if (!receiver instanceof MustUnderstandChecker) {
>     checkMustUnderstand(msgContext);
>   }
>   // Just call the MR - if we didn't do the check above,
>   // you're on your own!
>
> Then we make AxisEngine.checkMustUnderstand() public and let the
> JAXWSMessageReceiver decide whether or not to call it in its receive().
>
> Sound OK?
To be honest I hate doing API changes now :) , so I am sorry I do not
like to add a new method to MR interface.

Thank you,
Deepal

Re: [axis2] [proposal] JIRA AXIS2-3568

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Does not help at all unfortunately for our use case :( we just don't
> have the information available when the mu checks
> are happening...we won't even have the handlers loaded in the EJB
> context at this point in time :( :(

This didn't make sense to me at first - I just spoke to dims on IM,
where he explained that there's some bizarre reason that they can only
cross the container boundary into the EJB container (inside which lies
the only source of handler/MU information) once, not twice.  So an
approach which would first gather info and then separately receive()
can't work.

So, considering this is just for JAXWS, we can avoid exposing an
explicit plug point like a new interface, and we can just check if the
MessageReceiver's class name is "JAXWSMessageReceiver"... then don't do
the check in AxisEngine.receive() if so.

I'd rather do this than expose a potentially mis-usable plugpoint, I
think....

Sorry about the waffling. :)

--Glen

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Glen,

Does not help at all unfortunately for our use case :( we just don't have the information available when the mu checks
are happening...we won't even have the handlers loaded in the EJB context at this point in time :( :(

- -- dims

Posted by Nikhil V Thaker <ni...@us.ibm.com>.
Glenn - This is very close to what we have in the patch. In the patch we
only push faulty Header QNames as a list  to perform mustUnderstand check
later on. The difference here is that in the current solution we don't do
the MU check in MessageReceiverExtension (MustUndertandChecker from
previous note) but use MRE to only make a decision if we want to pospone
the check on faulty HeaderNames. We then trigger the MU check on faulty
QNames  from EndpointController after handler getHeaders() is invoked.

If we want to implement this solution, then I rather use
MessageReceiverExtension just to make decision if we want to pospone the
MU check and trigger the check after the Handler's have provided new
header qNames i.e after invocation of getHeaders(). This means we always
do MU check in AxisEngine.receive() and if there are faulty headers we
check them after Handlers are invoked as per JAXWS specification.

Make sense?

Nikhil Thaker
office: 512 838 9964
nvthaker@us.ibm.com

Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>
03/05/2008 07:41 PM
Please respond to
axis-dev@ws.apache.org

axis-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: [axis2] [proposal] JIRA AXIS2-3568

Hi all:

OK, I was thinking about this a little more... and I found that I was
actually just a touch uncomfortable with the idea of totally relying on
the MessageReceiver for the entire MU check.

I realize we're almost decided on this approach, but allow me to suggest
an alternative for JAXWSMessageReceiver to implement:

interface MustUnderstandProcessor {
   boolean understands(List qnames);
}

So instead of just punting the MU check, we'd change
checkMustUnderstand() as follows:

static List checkMustUnderstands(MessageContext context)
    throws AxisFault {
   // return either null (success) OR a List of unprocessed MU qnames
}

Then in receive(), we'd do something like:

   List unprocessed = checkMustUnderstands(context);

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi all:

OK, I was thinking about this a little more... and I found that I was
actually just a touch uncomfortable with the idea of totally relying on
the MessageReceiver for the entire MU check.

I realize we're almost decided on this approach, but allow me to suggest
an alternative for JAXWSMessageReceiver to implement:

interface MustUnderstandProcessor {
   boolean understands(List qnames);
}

So instead of just punting the MU check, we'd change
checkMustUnderstand() as follows:

static List checkMustUnderstands(MessageContext context)
    throws AxisFault {
   // return either null (success) OR a List of unprocessed MU qnames
}

Then in receive(), we'd do something like:

   List unprocessed = checkMustUnderstands(context);

Posted by Nikhil V Thaker <ni...@us.ibm.com>.

Posted by Jeff Barrett <ba...@us.ibm.com>.
Looks good to me!

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: [axis2] [proposal] JIRA AXIS2-3568

Posted by Dustin Amrhein <da...@yahoo.com>.
+1

Dustin Amrhein

David Illsley <da...@gmail.com> wrote: This seems like quite a clean solution.

---------------------------------

Re: [axis2] [proposal] JIRA AXIS2-3568

Posted by David Illsley <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: [axis2] [proposal] JIRA AXIS2-3568

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.

> I would like to propose a change to handle certain situations in jaxws
> where we need to postpone the must understand header check from the
> AxisEngine to the MessageReceiver.
Well I am not going to agree on this , since MR is something that people
can write and plug so adding must understand checking into custom code
is not a good idea. Any way must understand checking happen just before
calling the MR ,so to solve the problem you can add a handler just
before the MR and do you logic processing.  So I am not going to +1 for
this change.
> For example, in case of jaxws handler, an application can choose to
> implement getHeaders() and choose to add valid header qnames in that
> implementation. A mustUnderstand validation needs to happen for this
> scenario as described in section 10.2.1 of jaxws specification, in
> this situation if the jaxws handlers are not loaded, the must
> understand checks has to be postponed from AxisEngine until the
> handler are loaded and available in jaxws implementation.
>
> Currently all the must understand processing happens in AxisEngine's
> receive() method, I would like to provide a facility in AxisEngine
> code where we can choose to delegate MustUnderstand Check to a Message
> Receiver. I would like to propose addition of a new interface called
> MessageReceiverExtension in Kernel module which has a method
> isMustUnderstandCheckPostponed, this new interface will be implemented
> by JAXWSMessageReceiver and will help in making the runtime decision
> to postpone must understand check in AxisEngine code.
We can easily fixed this by adding a handler as I mention above , so we
do not need this new Interface.

Thank you,
Deepal