Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2020/06/03 14:12:28 UTC

Time for HC 5.0.1?

Folks

Should we release HttpCore / HttpClient 5.0.1 soon? There have been
some bug fixes but nothing major if my memory servers me well.

Oleg

Re: Time for HC 5.0.1?

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2020-06-03 um 16:12 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
> Folks
>
> Should we release HttpCore / HttpClient 5.0.1 soon? There have been
> some bug fixes but nothing major if my memory servers me well.
Makes sense. There is a regression for me, incomplete requests did not
close the connection.

Looking forward to 5.0.1

Re: 5.0.1 release notes; was Re: Time for HC 5.0.1?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 10:16 AM Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2020-06-04 at 10:09 -0400, Gary Gregory wrote:
> > Minor point " new method Request.responseTimeout(Timeout) in Fluent
> > HC."
> > should mean that the release is 5.1 since we've added a public API
> > IMO.
> >

> The method was omitted by mistake. Besides, what is really important is
> that we can still change the method signature if we did not get it
> right the first time around. The point of having ALPHA and BETA
> releases is to get feedback before the APIs are frozen. How likely that
> we have gotten that setter wrong? Probably not very likely.

I am mentioning this for the simple semver POV, you add an API, it's a
minor version bump, regardless of the past or current intent/omission.
Following semver this way is 'simple' in that it removes the need for a
subjective judgment call.

Either way will be OK I am sure.

Gary

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2020-06-04 at 19:14 +0200, Michael Osipov wrote:
> Am 2020-06-04 um 14:44 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
> > Folks
> >
> > Please review and amend release notes for HttpCore 5.0.1 and
> > HttpClient
> > 5.0.1

https://github.com/apache/httpcomponents-core/blob/release-preparation/RELEASE_NOTES.txt

https://github.com/apache/httpcomponents-client/blob/release-preparation/RELEASE_NOTES.txt

> > Oleg
> >
> > On Wed, 2020-06-03 at 12:44 -0700, Ryan Schmitt wrote:
> > > Sure, let's do it.
> > >
> > > On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 7:12 AM Oleg Kalnichevski <
> > > olegk@apache.org>

> Almost perfect, but
>
> > * Improved handling of early response messages by the classic
> > client protocol handler.
> >   Contributed by Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk at apache.org>
>
> I'd say that this is not an improvement because it has not existed
> before. It is a completely new feature. It should read: "Added
> handling
> of ..."

Michael, just commit the changes you deem appropriate to the release
preparation branch.

cheers

Oleg

Re: 5.0.1 release notes; was Re: Time for HC 5.0.1?

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
Folks

Re: Time for HC 5.0.1?