Posted to users@nifi.apache.org by James McMahon <js...@gmail.com> on 2022/04/07 18:37:32 UTC

Possible to convert .msg to .eml?

I have been asked if I can convert .msg format files to .eml format files
using nifi. I have not done this before, and a quick search tells me there
are no "out of the box" nifi processors that do this.

Has anyone accomplished this with nifi, and if so can you point me to an
example I may be able to start with? While I don't yet have all the
requirements, they did mention they will want to parse a subset of
information from the msg file.

I gather that the .msg file is a file format from Outlook, and the .eml
file is a simpler format more readily consumed by mobile devices.

I also stumbled across one or two third party apps that appear to do this,
so I'm wondering if nifi is the proper tool for this job to begin with?

Re: Possible to convert .msg to .eml?

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
James,

From a tool/purpose point of view yes NiFi is an ideal tool for the job
assuming you're talking about needing to do this continuously in an
automated flow fashion.

But, we of course need some transform written for this or you could
certainly build your own custom one as a full on processor or scripted
processor.

Libraries like this offer a likely good starting point
https://github.com/bbottema/simple-java-mail

Thanks