Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM> on 2007/03/01 06:47:02 UTC

Re: JIRA committers

Hi Mark,

Many of these questions are answered in the Incubator Guide pages. In
particular, please see http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html
and http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/
Roles_and_Responsibilities.html.

On Feb 28, 2007, at 11:09 AM, Mark Brouwer wrote:

> 1) do the mentors Phil Steitz and Gianugo Rabellino also need the
>    committer project role?

Mentors are given svn commit privileges in order to fulfill their
mentor role. There's no reason why they would not be given JIRA
committer privileges as well.

> 2) are the initial committers and mentors PMC members and should they
>    get the PMC role?

Yes, the initial committers and mentors are PPMC members. I have not
seen any special privilege in JIRA for the PMC project role. So I
don't think it really matters whether they are assigned that role or
not.

It does matter when the mail lists are set up. The PPMC members
should all be subscribed to river-private@incubator.apache.org.

Craig
> --
> Mark

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: JIRA committers

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Mar 1, 2007, at 7:52 AM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> Hi Geir,

>>> Yes, the initial committers and mentors are PPMC members. I have
>>> not seen any special privilege in JIRA for the PMC project role.
>>> So I don't think it really matters whether they are assigned that
>>> role or not.
>>
>> This actually depends on how the project works, actually.  There's
>> no hard and fast rule that dictates the initial committer list ==
>> PPMC
>
> Thanks for pointing that out. This is a guideline, not a rule. From
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html
>
> "The Podling Project Management Committee (PPMC) helps a Podling
> learn how to govern itself. It works like a PMC but reports to the
> Incubator PMC instead of to the ASF Board. Initially, it is
> composed of the Podling's mentors and initial committers. The PPMC
> is directly responsible for the oversight of the podling and it
> also decides who to add as a PPMC member."

I'm one commit away from changing that "guideline".  In which case
you'd have to find a good reason not to adopt the result, right? :)

> So even though it's not a rule, I expect that the podling would
> have to have some good reason not to adopt it.

Because there's a whole context that it assumes, that every person
that managed to scratch their name onto the wiki is an "initial
committer", one that I personally don't like.  I think that the
people who show interest from that list should be initial committers,
with a low bar, and the mentors start adding to the PPMC based on
behavior.

But this is supposedly a settled issue around here, so there's no
point discussing, I guess.

geir

Re: JIRA committers

Posted by Mark Brouwer <ma...@cheiron.org>.
Jim Hurley wrote:

> Someone whack me on the head if I've got this wrong -
> but we've had the ServiceUI code in a 'hold state' pending
> setting up the project for a month -- so I'd like to try and
> fix that (versus just adding another piece in a hold state).

Sometimes enough water against the dam will break its resistance ;-), so
I don't think the fact that no vote has been initiated for ServiceUI
should be a hurdle to get the other stuff in. Or is it that you are
afraid the outcome of the ServiceUI might bring substantial work for
you/Sun?

BTW Jim I think you made us all very curious about the logo, any chance
you can submit it through JIRA.
--
Mark

Re: JIRA committers

Posted by Jim Hurley <Ji...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Nige-

We've been trying to get all the Sun developers from
the initial Proposal accepted and setup as committers
and on the PPMC first.  I've been hoping that once we
got the logistics setup (for all the committers), we could
easily proceed to creating a JIRA item for the starter kit
and test source and moving forward.

Someone whack me on the head if I've got this wrong -
but we've had the ServiceUI code in a 'hold state' pending
setting up the project for a month -- so I'd like to try and
fix that (versus just adding another piece in a hold state).

-Jim

Re: JIRA committers

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com>.

Re: JIRA committers

Posted by Jim Hurley <Ji...@Sun.COM>.
On Mar 1, 2007, at 2:00 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> On Mar 1, 2007, at 10:55 AM, Jim Hurley wrote:
>
>> On Mar 1, 2007, at 1:18 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> :
>>>
>>> I suppose it depends on how we define "initial committer" list.
>>> I'll go back and look.
>>>
>>> geir
>>
>> Isn't that what's defined in the Proposal:
>>   <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/RiverProposal>
>>
>> "(4) identify the initial set of committers"
>>
>> If that doesn't mean "initial committer" list, I'm confused.
>
> Because we also said that we'd give commit to people who showed up
> and participated, not just those who scribbled on the wiki.  if the
> list is 1:1, then all should be fine.

No one else (but me) has scribbled on the Proposal in the wiki, and
(imo) everyone on that list should be added as a committer and PPMC
member on the Apache River project now.  It's been (it is?) hard enough
to get everything setup as an Apache project... I don't want to create
further hurdles for these people to contribute and get engaged in
the project.

Re: JIRA committers

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Re: JIRA committers

Posted by Jim Hurley <Ji...@Sun.COM>.

Re: JIRA committers

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Re: JIRA committers

Posted by Jim Hurley <Ji...@Sun.COM>.

Re: JIRA committers

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Geir,

Re: JIRA committers

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Feb 28, 2007, at 9:47 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Many of these questions are answered in the Incubator Guide pages.
> In particular, please see http://incubator.apache.org/guides/
> ppmc.html and http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/
> Roles_and_Responsibilities.html.
>
> On Feb 28, 2007, at 11:09 AM, Mark Brouwer wrote:
>

>> 1) do the mentors Phil Steitz and Gianugo Rabellino also need the
>>    committer project role?
>
> Mentors are given svn commit privileges in order to fulfill their
> mentor role. There's no reason why they would not be given JIRA
> committer privileges as well.

Yep.