Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Matthew Berry <ma...@apt.com> on 2005/09/16 18:24:42 UTC

Win32 Static linking question

Hi,

[ Sorry guys I know this has been discussed to death, but just wanted to be
100% sure on this particular point ]

I notice that in the VC7.1 solution that has a Static (Release) build, the
Runtime library setting is "Multithreaded". I would like to use
"Multithreaded DLL" to match with our other Win32 libraries.

Is there a catch? Will everything work okay if I build the static library
this way?

Thanks a million
Matthew

Re: Win32 Static linking question

Posted by Alberto Massari <am...@datadirect.com>.
Hi Matthew,

At 17.24 16/09/2005 +0100, Matthew Berry wrote:
>Hi,
>
>[ Sorry guys I know this has been discussed to death, but just wanted to be
>100% sure on this particular point ]
>
>I notice that in the VC7.1 solution that has a Static (Release) build, the
>Runtime library setting is "Multithreaded". I would like to use
>"Multithreaded DLL" to match with our other Win32 libraries.
>
>Is there a catch? Will everything work okay if I build the static library
>this way?

When a static library is used is because people want to reduce
dependencies on DLLs, so the most logical choice is to use the C
runtime that links statically. If you choose the Multithreaded DLL
option (and you can choose to do it) you will have to install or
assume that the correct DLLs are available on the system.
The tricky part is that the linker that assembles the project with
the static library must work on object files compiled using the same option.

Alberto