Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com> on 2003/07/15 20:14:50 UTC

Re: [Fwd: Closure of XMLBeans vote]

Berin,

Sorry, I didn't know that committers--instead of only
the PMC--are able to vote on accepting XMLBeans.  (I
have not subscribed to xml-apache-general until
today!)  Let's extend voting a week or two longer, to
get votes from at least 30 or so committers.

Offhand, I had some concerns about this technology
which I gave to my FOP team:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=105784381703729&w=2.
 Hence, my vote is -1.

I'm somewhat troubled by the voting options (listed
below):  There should be an -1 option to refuse
XMLBeans into XML-Apache, period, without further
comment; similar to what already exists for +1.  The
requirement to "address reservations [in order to make
XMLBeans acceptable for inclusion into XML-Apache]" in
order to vote a -1 is odd. One should not need to to
write a white paper on how to redeem XMLBeans in order
to (paradoxically) reject them!

[  ]  I agree with and support this proposal (+1)
[  ]  Indifference (-1 < x < +1)
[  ]  I object and suggest a way to address my
reservations (-1)

-1 should be changed to: I reject adding the XMLBeans
project to XML-Apache.

This will give a voice to those committers who
perceive that XML-Apache picking up XMLBeans would be
like General Motors deciding to resume the Edsel after
Ford determined it to be a failure.  For those who
feel XMLBeans to be dead weight, a distraction that
XML-Apache doesn't need.

But to satisfy the current requirement for voting -1,
here is one way to address my concerns:  Can we get
Craig McClanahan's opinion of this technology--he
basically leads Jakarta Tomcat and Struts and is quite
"high up" at Sun.  He has zero affiliation, AFAIK,
with BEA.  I have great respect for his integrity and
opinion--and if he endorses this technology, that's
good enough for me!  OTOH, if he feels XMLBeans to be
"not the best", not something worth investing our time
on, I would continue to recommend XML-Apache passing
on this technology (i.e., -1).

Thanks,
Glen Mazza
FOP Team