Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by ma...@yahoo.co.uk on 2004/09/11 01:45:53 UTC

Partial read of document fields

The "questions on Hits.doc"  thread on Lucene-user resurrects the issue of partial loading of fields.

In summary: it would be nice to be able to read only the fields you need and I proposed a solution on lucene-user some time ago here:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=lucene-user&m=108525376821114&w=2

At the time there was no response there so I'm flagging it for consideration here on lucene-dev.

The proposed implementation works with the current file format  but a more optimised solution would
require a change to the file format so that on-disk field size was recorded instead of in-memory field size. This would
allow the FieldsReader to skip over unwanted content more efficiently.

An efficent FieldsReader could allow code like the new Sort function to read stored fields such as numbers quickly into cache
rather than requiring these numeric values to be indexed and therefore bloat the term index unnecessarily with numbers..

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Cheers
Mark