Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ryan Hamilton Madison <Ry...@escf.com> on 2002/01/18 06:56:09 UTC

Name based vhosts w/no DNS in dvl env.

Hello,
	I've read all the documentation I can find regarding virtual hosts on
http://httpd.apache.org, searched the archives at
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com, and browsed google's Usenet archive trying to
find the answer to this question. I haven't been so lucky.

	I would like to set up multiple name based virtual hosts on my Win2K
machine, but the environment is strictly for development, is behind a
firewall, on a private network, and does not have any DNS entries. I thought
about doing IP based virtual hosts, but the machine only has one
non-routeable ip address, and I could not figure out a way to give it
another.

	For example, I have a website that I develop for let's say foo.com. On my
public webserver, it's at name1.foo.com, and it's documentroot is
/usr/local/httpd/name1.foo.com/. I also develop for www.foo.com, and it's
document root is /usr/local/httpd/. On my public web server, I have name
based virtual hosts set up for each of these sites, and they work as
expected.

	I want to emulate this environment in my development space. For example if
I typed in http://localhost-vhost1, it would take me to
c:\home\html\vhost1.localhost, and if I typed in http://localhost-vhost2, it
would take me to c:\home\html\vhost2.localhost. Any suggestions as to how I
might go about that?

I am running:
$ ./Apache.exe -v
Server version: Apache/1.3.22 (Win32)
Server built:   Oct 11 2001 07:36:10

Windows2K

TIA, will summarize.
RYAN

SUMMARY: Name based vhosts w/no DNS in dvl env.

Posted by Ryan Hamilton Madison <Ry...@escf.com>.
Got one response from Daniel. -Thanks very much.

I added the hostnames that I want to use in my
winnt/system32/drivers/etc/hosts file, setup the virtual hosts in
httpd.conf, and they work great.

----
You need to use named virtual hosts and set the DocumentRoot to the
directories you mention (remember to user forward slashes in the paths)
Since you do not have valid DNS entries for the servers, you need to add
the name of the servers to the Windows host files (both on the server and
the client machine with the browser). You can find this file at
winnt\win32\drivers\etc\hosts
If you are testing from a Unix machine, you want to modify the /etc/hosts
file.
Have a look at:
http://www.swynk.com/friends/dinicolo/70-240-22-1intro.asp

Re: Name based vhosts w/no DNS in dvl env.

Posted by Daniel Lopez <da...@rawbyte.com>.
Ryan,