Posted to user@accumulo.apache.org by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com> on 2016/11/02 19:35:13 UTC

New Accumulo Blog Post

I just posted a new blog post for Accumulo about configuring
durability settings and durability performance impact.

http://accumulo.apache.org/blog/2016/11/02/durability-performance.html

Re: New Accumulo Blog Post

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
I believe the work is done, or nearly done. I was coordinating with Mike
Walch off list to prepare the code, before it's officially submitted as a
patch to the Apache project. I've asked him to give me a chance to review
it before it gets submitted.

If you'd like to take a preview, you can see it in this branch:
https://github.com/mikewalch/accumulo/tree/volume-chooser

I'd definitely like it to be a blocker for 2.0.0. I think it's an essential
feature.

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 3:00 PM Jeff Kubina <je...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Any status on the patch to Accumulo to allow customizing the HDFS volume
> on which the WALs are stored.
>

> --
> Jeff Kubina
> 410-988-4436 <(410)%20988-4436>
>

> On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 10:34 PM, Christopher <ct...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> I'm aware of at least one person who has patched Accumulo to allow
> customizing the HDFS volume on which the WALs are stored. This reminds me
> that I need to check on the status of that patch. I'm hoping it'll be
> contributed soon.
>
> I'm also curious if it'd make a difference writing to HDFS with the data
> nodes mounted with sync, instead of doing a separate sync call.
>
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 9:49 PM <dl...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Regarding #2 – I think there are two options here:
>

> 1. Modify Accumulo to take advantage of HDFS Heterogeneous Storage
>
> 2. Modify Accumulo WAL code to support volumes

Christopher

Re: New Accumulo Blog Post

Posted by Jeff Kubina <je...@gmail.com>.
Chris,

Re: New Accumulo Blog Post

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
I'm aware of at least one person who has patched Accumulo to allow
customizing the HDFS volume on which the WALs are stored. This reminds me
that I need to check on the status of that patch. I'm hoping it'll be
contributed soon.

I'm also curious if it'd make a difference writing to HDFS with the data
nodes mounted with sync, instead of doing a separate sync call.

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 9:49 PM <dl...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Regarding #2 – I think there are two options here:
>

> 1. Modify Accumulo to take advantage of HDFS Heterogeneous Storage
>
> 2. Modify Accumulo WAL code to support volumes

RE: New Accumulo Blog Post

Posted by dl...@comcast.net.

Re: New Accumulo Blog Post

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 9:01 PM, Jeff Kubina <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the blog post, very interesting read. Some questions ...
>
> 1. Are the operations "Writes mutation to tablet servers’ WAL/Sync or flush
> tablet servers’ WAL" and "Adds mutations to sorted in memory map of each
> tablet." performed by threads in parallel?

Not for a batch from a client.  Each batch of mutations from a client
is processed by a single thread.   Batches from separate clients can
process in parallel.

> 2. Could the latency of hsync-ing the WALs be overcome by modifying Accumulo
> to write them to a separate SSD-only HDFS? To maintain data locality it
> would require two datanode processes (one for the HDDs and one for the SSD),
> running on the same node, which is not hard to do.

Christopher answered this.  I just wanted to mention that I have run
Accumulo on my laptop which has a SSD.  Hsync is much faster there,
like 10x faster.

Re: New Accumulo Blog Post