Posted to user@thrift.apache.org by Bjorn Borud <bb...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/04 10:23:38 UTC

Re: RPC for java/python with rest support, HTML monitoring and goodies

Ran Tavory <ra...@gmail.com> writes:

> - Web form debugging

by this you mean having the option to perform RPC calls by filling in a
form in your browser?  yeah, that is a surprisingly useful feature.

> the internal google rpc is nice, yes, but unfortunately only google has
> it...

from what I understand they would like to release it, but the problem is
that doing so would mean a lot of work and nobody has had the time to do
it.  of course, the next best thing would be to st...er borrow some of
the good ideas.

the one thing I am missing the most from Thrift right now is some way to
associate credentials with a call in a way that doesn't get in a
developer's face.  right now I have to add these things in-band and this
is inelegant.  I mentioned that I might get some time to think about
this later this year, but I think there are people who want to, and are
able to, addres this earlier.

> I've seen a few public RPC frameworks based on protobuf but couldn't tell
> how ready they are.

well, I am an ex-googler and would naturally like to use protobuf, but I
chose Thrift, so that should probably tell you something about how ready
I feel the protobuf based RPC mechanisms are :-).

-Bjørn