Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> on 2014/02/24 22:46:10 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Hadoop 2.3.0 released

Folks,

It gives me great pleasure to announce that the Apache Hadoop community has voted to release Apache Hadoop 2.3.0!

hadoop-2.3.0 is the first release for the year 2014, and brings a number of enhancements to the core platform, in particular to HDFS.

With this release, there are two significant enhancements to HDFS:
	• Support for Heterogeneous Storage Hierarchy in HDFS (HDFS-2832)
	• In-memory Cache for data resident in HDFS via Datanodes (HDFS-4949)

In YARN, we are very excited to see that ResourceManager Automatic Failover (YARN-149) is nearly complete; even it isn’t ready for primetime yet. We expect it to land by the next release i.e. hadoop-2.4. Furthermore, a number of key operational enhancements have been driven into YARN such as better logging, error-handling, diagnostics etc.

On the MapReduce side of the house, a key enhancement is MAPREDUCE-4421; with this we now no longer need to install MapReduce binaries on every machine and can just use a MapReduce tarball via the YARN DistributedCache by copying it into HDFS.

Of course, a number of bug-fixes, enhancements etc. have also made it into hadoop-2.3; there-by continuing to improve the core platform. Please see the release notes for more details.

thanks,
Arun

PS: Here is a CVE for a security fix along with the release.

----

CVE-2013-6446: Apache Hadoop job history server vulnerability

Severity: Major

Vendor: The Apache Software Foundation

Versions Affected:
Hadoop 0.23.1 to 0.23.9
Hadoop 2.0.0 to 2.2.0

Users affected: Users who have enabled Hadoop's MapReduce security features

Impact: Vulnerability allows an unauthorized user to retrieve job details from the job history server.

Mitigation:
0.23.x users should upgrade to 0.23.10.
2.x users should upgrade to 2.3.0.

Credit:
This issue was discovered by Koji Noguchi of Yahoo.

----

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE