Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com> on 2002/10/20 17:44:51 UTC

Is Cactus successful (was RE: [PROPOSAL] Tapestry joins Jakarta)

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the information! You know what I like about you? It is the
faith that you have in yourself and in the fact that you know it all...

> Where I work, lots of people talk about "maybe we should use
> cactus", and heck there are those who use all sorts of things from the
> Java Developers Journal that they have insufficient knowledge and
> experience to carry off.  (Yes you can write an object cache...  But
why
> would you, and why would you do it in your stateless session beans)...
> But cactus is a well kept secret.  Its one that gets whispered often.
>
> From my limited experience, marketing (ugh!) is just as important as
> anything else to increase your community size.

Interesting... However, I do believe the opposite (and maybe I am
wrong)! I believe Cactus is victim of its success ... rather than it's
lack of ...

If you check the cactus stats
(http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/stats/index.html), you will find it is
receiving quite a lot of attention (1500-2500 visits per day). It gets
between 500-1500 downloads per day which is quite honorable for such a
"niche" project (not only it is unit testing but only J2EE-related unit
testing).

Note: I don't like too much the stats from webalizer and I have started
using awstats
(http://jakarta.apache.org/~vmassol/awstats/awstats.jakarta.apache.org.h
tml) as an experiment. Much better stats I think (except the history).

Cactus is well advertised and easy to find (junit, google, a book with
Cactus in the title, several others having a chapter on Cactus, several
articles on the web, reviews in magazines, a book in progress I am
writing, etc).

I completely agree with you on marketing which is why I have worked on
that since day one of Cactus ... I may not be doing enough of it (who
does?) but it already takes all my night time work ... ;-)

That said, I only wish to learn and I would love to know some more
tricks from you!

Thanks
-Vincent

> -Andy
>
> On Sun, 2002-10-20 at 10:23, Vincent Massol wrote:

Cactus

Re: Log reporting (was: Is Cactus successful)

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
Sourceforge it and let people play (or commons-sandbox it and see where it
goes).

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Log reporting (was: Is Cactus successful)

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Ellis Teer wrote:

> > Note: I don't like too much the stats from webalizer and I have started
> > using awstats

I've been a webalizer user too. It suffices.

Re: Is Cactus successful (was RE: [PROPOSAL] Tapestry joins Jakarta)

Posted by Ellis Teer <el...@sitepen.com>.
> If you check the cactus stats
> (http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/stats/index.html), you will find it is
> receiving quite a lot of attention (1500-2500 visits per day). It gets
> between 500-1500 downloads per day which is quite honorable for such a
> "niche" project (not only it is unit testing but only J2EE-related unit
> testing).
> Note: I don't like too much the stats from webalizer and I have started
> using awstats
> (http://jakarta.apache.org/~vmassol/awstats/awstats.jakarta.apache.org.h
> tml) as an experiment. Much better stats I think (except the history).

Thank you for mentioning that stats package as a sidenote.  Thinking of
using it for a project now instead of analog/report magic.

With Cactus, my impression is that a sizable number of developers know
about it, are interested in it, think it is a good idea, but are too
'busy' in their day jobs to use unit testing, or more complex
server-side unit testing.  And for those who have pet projects, those
projects are usually small enough that the benefits of setting up test
cases in the mind are outweighed by adding another feature.

You mentioned later in this thread what I believe is a key point.  You
are doing something new and the public/users/possible committers need to
learn to adopt unit testing and then 'IUT'.  And while people are
thinking about it, they will browse the page, and even download a copy.
  But until they use it for a project and see the advantages its
adoption/attraction to developers may be slow.  I think the
documentation and polish helps find developers more than hurts, IUT is
just ahead of their needs though it doesn't need to be.

It reminds me of how digital video records have been slow to take off.
But their time is coming one way or another.

--
Ellis Teer
www.sitepen.com

RE: Is Cactus successful (was RE: [PROPOSAL] Tapestry joins Jakarta)

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
LOL...  oh yes I forgot to note "announce the crap out of everything"
;-)

Andy "the assertive pushy talkative poi committer who doesn't eat
cheese"

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <tr...@iprimus.com.au>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <an...@superlinksoftware.com>.
That's awesome information.  Thank you for this!

I got no reply from Javaworld or Dr. Dobbs, but I had not tried JDJ.  I
wrote Tony Stintes and got no reply,
but I think this:
http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/javaqa/2002-05/01-qa-0503-excel3.html
was sufficient
reply.

Somehow we managed to get coverage in some German professional journals,
etc.  But I'm not entirely sure
why "accidental marketing" works so much better in countries where
English is not the native language maybe they try harder
to find things?

Once again, thank you so much for this.  It was very helpful to me!

-Andy

Posted by Steve Downey <st...@netfolio.com>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <an...@superlinksoftware.com>.

Posted by Steve Downey <st...@netfolio.com>.

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com>.

The discussion I had started was not about how to grow Cactus user base.
We are very happy with that (well beyond my expectations actually and
progressing steadily) but more on how to grow the committer's base. Of
course growing the number of people who knows about Cactus may have an
effect on the number of committers but I am not so sure about that
(that's not my observations so far).

My belief is that Cactus is too much viewed as a finished product:
- it works
- it has nice documentation
- it has a nice build process
- it has a quite responsive mailing list (a bit less lately as I have
slightly less time with Maven/other stuff and I'm trying to see if
others jump in when I don't answer 30 seconds after the question has
been posted ;-). It seems to be working! I have the feeling Cactus is
getting more ML participation ...).
- steady releases (9 versions/releases in 16 months, 1 stable releases/4
months).

It is indeed a finished product but there are still so many interesting
things to do to make it even way better ... ;-) (documented on the
todo/goal page).

> > You said the persons in your team were pondering about using Cactus.
> > That means they already know about it. So marketing is good! Maybe
> > documentation need to be improved?
> >

> No not on my team.. . Just people I know at work ;-)
>
> If I had a need for cactus at the moment the documentation doesn't
look
> too bad.

It isn't but needs reorganization to prevent misreadings like the one
you mention below ... :-)

> > FYI, we have actually started working on the Cactus front-end (Maven
> > plugin, Eclipse plugin, standalone testing application, Ant tasks,
etc)
> > which should make it easier to use (this was one weak-point noted by
the
> > users - the entry barrier).
> >

> Ahh.  i actually use Centipede and haven't figured out what eclipse
> wants from me (I want CVS + compilation...it gives me either or).

Let's not go there... Ok just a little then... Personally I don't want
compilation, which Eclipse gives me ;-) (I'm talking about dynamic
compilation). I want to know right away the result of a change I make to
a class across all my project, I want to know right away if I've broken
any coding convention as I type (using checkstyle for example), I want
to know the code impacted by my Aspects (AOP/AspectJ), if I make a
change deep in the directory structure, I want it to be surfaced so that
I know what is not committed, etc.

If you can resist, try not to answer this as it will lead to another OT
thread ;-) (you've started!).

> The biggest turnoff for me was this:
>
> "
>  This will work with Internet Explorer as the XSL transformation is
> performed on the client side (i.e by the browser). I'm not sure about
> other browsers.
> "
>
> IE doesn't work well under Linux.  Plus I like mozilla better and even
> use it when I have to use Winblows.

Do you want to participate? Feel free to send a patch to perform XSLT
transformation on the server side! More seriously, this is not a Cactus
feature, it's a browser feature. The document was pointing out that
without modifying Cactus you could get the XML transformed to HTML by
simply having an XSL stylesheet in the directory where the XML is. Now,
one of the goal is to make this XML->HTML transformation a feature.
Hence your patch ;-). The only problem is that I named this tutorial
Tomcat Howto and with the fame of Tomcat, everybody is looking at that
page, which is a really small add-on that has been added lately to the
doc but which is not part of Cactus core.

BTW, doing a quick search revealed
(http://www.webreference.com/xml/column58/):

"
A full XSL-T (XSL transformation) processor named TransforMiix, also
available stand-alone, is built into Mozilla. XML documents can be
transformed using XSLT, as has been championed by Internet Explorer 5.
TransforMiix does not support the draft versions of XSLT prematurely
released by Microsoft, so if you want to deploy to both make sure you
use XSLT 1.0, not 0.9.
"

If you try it and tell me it works I will update the doc and add that it
works in Mozilla X ! ;-)

-Vincent

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com>.

Cactus
> through articles [i think] and mention in the media. However, there's
no
> real meme [I think is the phrase] for Cactus. I know that Cactus is
Java,
> I know it tests web pages somehow (least it's hooked up in there) but
> don't have a good idea as to why I would choose it, how it differs
from
> httpunit etc. [A quick look at the website shows that my initial
> assumption was off a touch, it tests Java server-side components].

Hehe ... I think you may have nailed the exact problem! Even your last
sentence is not completely correct which proves your point (although it
is written on the web site!)... ;-) It's about *unit* testing java
server-side components (although at the moment it is more restricted to
unit testing J2EE components but that's not the only goal). And it's
about doing it in-container (inside the container).

Would "In-container Unit Testing" or "Integration Unit Testing" be a
nice meme?

I think the problem also comes from the fact that unit tests are still
relatively new. And what Cactus is doing is even newer. Thus there is
not yet any global knowledge of what IUT is about ... Cactus was built
to explore this road and is indeed a precursor ;-)

> So for me personally, and I suspect other people who are aware of
Cactus,
> there's not a real understanding first off of where it fits in, the
level
> of effort to use etc.

Yes, you are right. Everything is described on the web site (included
comparisons with other strategies), etc. BUT the problem is that you
have to read it first ...

In that sense, Andrew was right. There is a need to do a lot of
evangelization on the concept of IUT so that it enters our global mind.

> [adding it to article list to write at some point, though I'm sure
there
> are many out there. ]

That would be nice ;-)

> Probably not much use, but a report from a prospective customer can
> sometimes be of interest. I'd say Cactus is marketing the brand okay,
but
> not the meme. Not that I really understand brands or memes :)

I think you are completely right :-)

In addition the concept may need to be expanded a bit as it may be too
restrictive. Here are some ideas for the future:
- runtime unit testing (possibly using AOP)
- stress unit testing
(Thus more like tools like Introscope but at a much more agile level.)

It would still be In-Container Unit Testing (ICUT or IUT), though...

> Hen

-Vincent

RE: Is Cactus successful (was RE: [PROPOSAL] Tapestry joins Jakarta)

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Vincent Massol wrote:

> Ok I want to be positive and try to see if there's anything I can do to
> improve the overall Cactus community. You say Cactus might be missing
> some marketing muscles. I would like to believe that. From the
> information in my email do you still think there's more the Cactus team
> could do?

Even ignoring my Jakarta-Apache involvement, I had become aware of Cactus
through articles [i think] and mention in the media. However, there's no
real meme [I think is the phrase] for Cactus. I know that Cactus is Java,
I know it tests web pages somehow (least it's hooked up in there) but I

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.