Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Reydet Gonzague <go...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/30 16:54:51 UTC

Exception with Batik slideshow

Hi,

I am trying to use Batik slideshow software to display a fullscreen SVG
file, but when I execute the command I obtain a black full screen and I get
an exception. Following is what I obtain:

I:\>java -jar batik-1.7\batik-slideshow.jar Result\display.svg
Reading: file:/I://Result/display.svg
Building: file:/I://Result/display.svg
Rendering: file:/I://Result/display.svg
Painting: file:/I://Result/display.svg
Exception in thread "TransitionThread" java.lang.NullPointerException at
org.apache.batik.apps.slideshow.Main$TransitionThread.run(Main.java:265)

I tried several SVG contents and even with the most simple one I obtain this
error. Following is a sample SVG content I tried to display:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg
">
<text fill="darkslateblue" text-anchor="middle" font-weight="bold"
font-size="26" y="300" x="512">Results</text>
</svg>

Is there anything wrong with my usage of this software?
Where can I find more documentation on this tool (I didn't find anything
about slideshow on the batik pages)?

Here is some information on my configuration:
OS: Windows XP Pro SP2
Java: 1.6.0_06
Batik: 1.7

Regards,
Gonzague Reydet.

Re: Exception with Batik slideshow

Posted by Helder Magalhães <he...@gmail.com>.
> In fact slideshow works when I add the width and height parameters in the
> top level svg element. Are those parameters required in the SVG
> recommendation or is it a bug/limitation of slideshow?
> Another issue is that I can't run animated SVG within batik slideshow
> whereas the animation works within squiggle. Does slideshow support animated
> SVG or is it another limitation of this tool?

Great! Glad to know it helped. :-) I'm not familiar with the tool so
we better wait for some feed back from a Batik development team
member...

> Finally is it possible to make slideshow reload the SVG file automatically
> each time this one is modified?

Humm. This seems to be tricky. Are presentations meant to change that
often? I'm confident that you are able to implement this feature into
the tool but I don't think it will support this out of the box and/or
without any modification.

Regards,

 Helder Magalhães

Re: Exception with Batik slideshow

Posted by th...@kodak.com.
Hi Reydet,

"Reydet Gonzague" <go...@gmail.com> wrote on 07/31/2008 09:46:59
AM:

> In fact slideshow works when I add the width and height parameters
> in the top level svg element. Are those parameters required in the
> SVG recommendation or is it a bug/limitation of slideshow?

   It's a limitation of the slideshow app.

> Another issue is that I can't run animated SVG within batik
> slideshow whereas the animation works within squiggle. Does
> slideshow support animated SVG or is it another limitation of this tool?

   The slideshow only supports static SVG.  I would suggest using two
JSVGCanvas's if you want to show animation.

> Finally is it possible to make slideshow reload the SVG file
> automatically each time this one is modified?

   It's possible but you would have to write the code ;)

Posted by Reydet Gonzague <go...@gmail.com>.
In fact slideshow works when I add the width and height parameters in the
top level svg element. Are those parameters required in the SVG
recommendation or is it a bug/limitation of slideshow?

Another issue is that I can't run animated SVG within batik slideshow
whereas the animation works within squiggle. Does slideshow support animated
SVG or is it another limitation of this tool?

Finally is it possible to make slideshow reload the SVG file automatically
each time this one is modified?

Thank you for your reply,
Gonzague Reydet.

Posted by Helder Magalhães <he...@gmail.com>.