Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/13 00:35:12 UTC

[all] Commons SCXML 0.7 RC2 available

I've incorporated Sebb and Niall's feedback on RC1 and produced RC2.

Tag:

 http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/scxml/tags/SCXML_0_7_RC2/

Artifacts:

 http://people.apache.org/~rahul/commons/scxml-0.7/rc2/

Staged site:

 http://people.apache.org/~rahul/commons/scxml-0.7/rc2/site/

Notes:
 * m1 release, JDK 1.4 minimum
 * v0.7 release notes, Javadoc etc. links in staged site will go live
after release

I intend to put these bits up for vote this weekend (unless blocking
issues are discovered between now and then). If more time is needed,
please ping.

-Rahul

Re: [all] Commons SCXML 0.7 RC2 available

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 12/13/07, Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr> wrote:
> The checkstyle reports says the Builtin class is a utility class and
> should not have a public or default constructor. The Javadoc shows the
> default constructor added by the compiler. Could a private constructor
> be added to prevent this ?

<snip/>

Thanks for taking a look.

For Commons components, when you see the above, it generally has to be
do with expression languages. For example, in this case, there is no
way to call static methods in JEXL v1.0, so a constructor needs to be
provided. This particular case may need to be Javadoc'ed better. While
we're here, the other checkstyle error (bar the TODO flags) is a false
warning (the import is actually needed as its used in a {@link} --
maybe never checkstyle versions have taken care of that).

-Rahul

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
Everything looks good to me.

Oliver

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 12/14/07, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip/>

> I suggest relegating Snapshots to project info.
>
> There was a discussion about this for JMeter a while back, and the
> consensus was that snapshots were for developers only, and should only
> be published on developer pages (along with warnings about the lack of
> guarantees etc). Having the snapshot link in the main navigation makes
> it too prominent, IMO.
>
> The Snapshots link could be replaced with Downloads.

<snap/>

Makes good sense, will do.

> So it would not try to download Java if a <dependency> was added?
>
> That would be an easy way to update the dependencies section.
> Otherwise I assume it would mean enhancing the Maven dependencies
> generator (plug-in?)

<snip/>

I may have lost you here, but I meant to say I will update the text
accordingly in the last column on the dependencies page.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 14/12/2007, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks again, I've never received much feedback on the site, so thats
> quite useful. Replies below ...
>
> On 12/12/07, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > A few files still refer to jakarta for stuff that has moved to commons TLP:
> >
> > build.properties.sample
> > doap_scxml.rdf
> > faq.fml
> > scxml-documents.xml
> > testing-standalone.xml
> > scxml-stopwatch.xml
> >
> <snip/>
>
> Will fix (TODO #1).
>

> > > Staged site:
> > >
> > >  http://people.apache.org/~rahul/commons/scxml-0.7/rc2/site/
> >
> > It's quite difficult to find the download link.
> <snap/>
>
> Yup, requires scrolling to get to the "Releases" section. Will add a
> more prominent pointer (TODO #2).

I suggest relegating Snapshots to project info.

There was a discussion about this for JMeter a while back, and the
consensus was that snapshots were for developers only, and should only
be published on developer pages (along with warnings about the lack of
guarantees etc). Having the snapshot link in the main navigation makes
it too prominent, IMO.

The Snapshots link could be replaced with Downloads.

> > There does not seem to be a Wiki link.
> <snip/>
>
> There is one on the index page, but again, not prominent (tempted to
> leave it at that):
>
>  http://people.apache.org/~rahul/commons/scxml-0.7/rc2/site/#Documentation

I'd prefer to see it in the LHS, given that the Commons one is there
already, but no big deal.

> > It would be useful if these were in the top part of the left-hand panel.
> >
> > The left-hand panel seems to have some duplication, e.g.
> > Dependencies, Mailing Lists, Team, SVN Repository which are also under
> > Project Info. I'd suggest dropping the former.
> >
> <snap/>
>
> This is based on user feedback that those links (particularly
> dependencies and SVN pointers IIRC) are hard to find (not all users
> are familiar with Maven site layout, the Project Info bit etc.). ISTR
> there was a specific suggestion to pull them up one level.

OK, but could probably drop Team from the LHS, as well as Snapshots - see above.

> > "Dependencies" notes that xalan is needed for Java 1.5 - what about 1.6?
> > Should that be Java 1.5+?
> >
> <snip/>
>
> I think so (TODO #3).
>

> > > Notes:
> > >  * m1 release, JDK 1.4 minimum
> >
> > Could not find Java requirement anywhere on the site.
> >
> > Could it be added as a dependency in maven.xml/pom.xml, or would that
> > break Maven?
> >
> <snap/>
>
> No it wouldn't break Maven.

So it would not try to download Java if a <dependency> was added?

That would be an easy way to update the dependencies section.
Otherwise I assume it would mean enhancing the Maven dependencies
generator (plug-in?)

> The m1 build (primary build) has the
> details specified in project.properties (see file at tag root):
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/scxml/tags/SCXML_0_7_RC2/
>
> We also have the X-Compile-{Source,Target}-JDK headers in the jar
> manifest (though I don't expect people to know that unless they look).
> Don't think we actually list JDK requirements more explicitly then
> that, perhaps we should.

Definitely - it's particularly important for Commons.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thanks again, I've never received much feedback on the site, so thats
quite useful. Replies below ...

On 12/12/07, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A few files still refer to jakarta for stuff that has moved to commons TLP:
>
> build.properties.sample
> doap_scxml.rdf
> faq.fml
> scxml-documents.xml
> testing-standalone.xml
> scxml-stopwatch.xml

<snip/>

Will fix (TODO #1).

> > Staged site:
> >
> >  http://people.apache.org/~rahul/commons/scxml-0.7/rc2/site/
>
> It's quite difficult to find the download link.
<snap/>

Yup, requires scrolling to get to the "Releases" section. Will add a
more prominent pointer (TODO #2).

> There does not seem to be a Wiki link.
<snip/>

There is one on the index page, but again, not prominent (tempted to
leave it at that):

 http://people.apache.org/~rahul/commons/scxml-0.7/rc2/site/#Documentation

> It would be useful if these were in the top part of the left-hand panel.
>
> The left-hand panel seems to have some duplication, e.g.
> Dependencies, Mailing Lists, Team, SVN Repository which are also under
> Project Info. I'd suggest dropping the former.

<snap/>

This is based on user feedback that those links (particularly
dependencies and SVN pointers IIRC) are hard to find (not all users
are familiar with Maven site layout, the Project Info bit etc.). ISTR
there was a specific suggestion to pull them up one level.

> "Dependencies" notes that xalan is needed for Java 1.5 - what about 1.6?
> Should that be Java 1.5+?

<snip/>

I think so (TODO #3).

> > Notes:
> >  * m1 release, JDK 1.4 minimum
>
> Could not find Java requirement anywhere on the site.
>
> Could it be added as a dependency in maven.xml/pom.xml, or would that
> break Maven?

<snap/>

No it wouldn't break Maven. The m1 build (primary build) has the

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 12/12/2007, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've incorporated Sebb and Niall's feedback on RC1 and produced RC2.
>
> Tag:
>
>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/scxml/tags/SCXML_0_7_RC2/

A few files still refer to jakarta for stuff that has moved to commons TLP:

build.properties.sample
doap_scxml.rdf
faq.fml
scxml-documents.xml
testing-standalone.xml
scxml-stopwatch.xml

> Artifacts:
>
>  http://people.apache.org/~rahul/commons/scxml-0.7/rc2/

Sigs and hashes all OK. Contents look fine.