Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Turadg Aleahmad <tu...@berkeley.edu> on 2006/03/03 22:33:23 UTC

downloading Maven artifacts with Dijjer

Hi folks,

Dijjer is a P2P distributed cache of HTTP accessible resources.  I
recently added a feature to Dijjer to support the Maven checksum scheme
when downloading.  I thought Dijjer could be used as a way to reduce
load on Maven repositories.

The Dijjer network isn't very large yet and so its help is not yet
significant.  But were Maven to publicize use of Dijjer for downloading
Maven artifacts, the distribute cache would fill with them and it should
both reduce load on the repositories and improve client download
performance.  This could even be accomplished transparently by enhancing
the Maven downloading code to try downloading via Dijjer if available.

What do people think?  Please keep turadg@berkeley.edu cc:ed in any
replies as I am not subscribed to this mailing list.

Thanks for your attention,
Turadg

Re: downloading Maven artifacts with Dijjer

Posted by Ian Clarke <ia...@locut.us>.
On 5 Mar 2006, at 20:56, Brett Porter wrote:
> I think it would also be essential that appropriate security
> mechanisms
> were first in place to validate the authenticity of the artifacts
> downloaded.

Dijjer verifies the .md5 files, and also has a separate "on-the-fly"
verification mechanism described here:

   http://dijjer.org/wiki/IntegrityChecking

> The other concern I have is that I suspect you'd need to have Dijjer
> running and uploading artifacts. Since a great deal of users are in
> corporate envs, this is not going to be realistic.

Dijjer does work through most firewalls, so I'm not sure why it
wouldn't be realistic.  Note also that the *entire* Dijjer network
contributes towards downloading files, not just those specific peers
that are doing the downloading.

Ian.

Re: downloading Maven artifacts with Dijjer

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
I'm personally sceptical that any kind of P2P based repository would
work effectively for Maven users.

That said, we'd certainly consider a contribution of a provider to use
it. Given there weren't any responses so far, I suspect that this isn't
a priority for others, but that might change.

I think it would also be essential that appropriate security mechanisms
were first in place to validate the authenticity of the artifacts
downloaded.

The other concern I have is that I suspect you'd need to have Dijjer
running and uploading artifacts. Since a great deal of users are in
corporate envs, this is not going to be realistic.

Cheers,
Brett