Posted to dev@tiles.apache.org by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org> on 2013/11/06 23:59:42 UTC

revamp of the website!

ClamAV 0.96.5

Inspired by http://struts.apache.org
I applied the same skin and simplification to our site.

Check it out at http://tiles.wever.org/staging/
This is currently committed into the site project under staging.

What do people think?
If there any objections to pushing this live please speak up in the next
few days.

A summary of changes involved:

a) I've taken away a number of pages that i felt were presenting
duplicate information. contributers.html and volunteers.html since the
information, apart from the long entries about individuals, were already
present on the "Project Team" page. Antonio Petrelli and David H.
DeWolf, do you mind having the extra info about the two of you taken
away? (it's easy to put it elsewhere and link to it from the teams page)

b) a number of the links in the navigation have been removed. related
projects, thanks, sponsorship, security.

c) much of the text on the front page has been removed. "About Tiles as
an Apache project", "Powered by Apache Tiles", and all links to
Tiles-2.1. All this stuff on Apache can be found easily enough if people
are searching for it. And we really want to encourage people to only be
downloading tiles-3 or tiles-2.2. We don't have the manpower to be
supporting extra versions.

d) The security warning has been removed from the front page. It is old,
we've drummed it in, and it still exists on the security bulletin pages.

e) The "hero-unit" summary is extended, including the quote from Nick.

f) on the faq page move the stuff about relationship to struts to the
bottom of the page. this is old history now, the technical faq are
likely more interesting to newcomers.

~mck

--
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

| http://github.com/finn-no | http://tech.finn.no |

Re: revamp of the website!

Posted by Mck <mc...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2013-11-07 at 09:43 +0100, Antonio Petrelli wrote:
> Just one note: I think that, for trademark reasons, the "Apache" in "Apache
> Tiles" logo is mandatory.

Yes I was under that impression too.

But when i looked around i saw that other apache websites were not doing
it. eg
 http://struts.apache.org/
 http://cassandra.apache.org/
 http://hadoop.apache.org/
 http://cocoon.apache.org/

Given that the ASF logo is immediately next to it, and that the first
text on the page (directly above the logo) is "Apache Tiles", is it
really needed?

~mck

Re: revamp of the website!

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2013/11/6 Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>

> What do people think?
> If there any objections to pushing this live please speak up in the next
> few days.

Hi
the style is neat and shiny, very good job.
Just one note: I think that, for trademark reasons, the "Apache" in "Apache
Tiles" logo is mandatory.

> a) I've taken away a number of pages that i felt were presenting
> duplicate information. contributers.html and volunteers.html since the
> information, apart from the long entries about individuals, were already
> present on the "Project Team" page. Antonio Petrelli and David H.
> DeWolf, do you mind having the extra info about the two of you taken
> away? (it's easy to put it elsewhere and link to it from the teams page)

You can remove it, at least for my part. I put the "contributors" page
because I felt that it was a nice reward for those who contributed simply a
patch, in order to attract more devleopers. Obviously it failed :-D
The story of developers is, IMHO, uninteresting anymore.

Antonio

Re: revamp of the website!

Posted by Nicolas LE BAS <ma...@nlebas.net>.
Hey, sorry I'm not really available these days.

I like it, this is great work Mck :)

Re: revamp of the website!

Posted by Mck <mc...@apache.org>.
> If there any objections to pushing this live please speak up in the next
> few days.

New website style and changes has been published.

~mck

--
“If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that
is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.” - Henry

| http://github.com/finn-no | http://tech.finn.no |