Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Christopher R. Maden" <cr...@maden.org> on 2008/03/12 01:49:24 UTC

Pagination and multiple fo:table-body instances

I have a multi-page document which is one large table.  I previously
produced this document with FOP 0.20.5, and have recently switched to
0.94.

The table has multiple fo:table-body elements in it.  With 0.20.5, it
paginated rather neatly, filling a page with as many table bodies as it
could, and dropping an entire body to the next page when there was no
more room.  None of the table-body elements are more than 6 rows long.

With 0.94, as soon as page 1 threatens to fill up, all but the first two
bodies are moved to page 2, which then fills nicely, but breaks the page
to page 3 in the middle of a table-body.  Adding keep-together="always"
on the table-body elements does not seem to have any effect on either
behavior.

I can mock up a demonstration of the problem, but it will take a little
work since the data I’m working with contains confidential information.
Before I do that, does this ring any bells for anyone as a known
problem?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
“Metonymy and synecdoche don’t do the fighting and dying, the
 soldiers and the townspeople do.” —John Crowley, _Endless Things_
GnuPG Fingerprint: C6E4 E2A9 C9F8 71AC 9724 CAA3 19F8 6677 0077 C319

Re: Pagination and multiple fo:table-body instances

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vi...@anyware-tech.com>.
Hi Chris,

Christopher R. Maden wrote:
> I have a multi-page document which is one large table.  I previously
> produced this document with FOP 0.20.5, and have recently switched to
> 0.94.
>
> The table has multiple fo:table-body elements in it.  With 0.20.5, it
> paginated rather neatly, filling a page with as many table bodies as it
> could, and dropping an entire body to the next page when there was no
> more room.  None of the table-body elements are more than 6 rows long.
>
> With 0.94, as soon as page 1 threatens to fill up, all but the first two
> bodies are moved to page 2, which then fills nicely, but breaks the page
> to page 3 in the middle of a table-body.  Adding keep-together="always"
> on the table-body elements does not seem to have any effect on either
> behavior.

I fixed a bug in December 2007 which was producing a result similar to
what you are describing. Can you try with a build of the latest Trunk?
Otherwise, if you are happy to wait a few days, the 0.95beta release is
on its way.

> I can mock up a demonstration of the problem, but it will take a little
> work since the data I’m working with contains confidential information.
> Before I do that, does this ring any bells for anyone as a known
> problem?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Chris

Thanks,