Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Case Torres <Ca...@casetorrestech.com> on 2008/01/30 20:00:31 UTC

Advise on best way to implement ...

Hi,

I need to attach serial numbers(for products ordered) permanently to an
order.
Each product shipped needs a serial number. They don't need to be attached
to the individual products just a list of serial numbers for each product in
the order.
The serial numbers need to be viewable when reviewing an order, on the
Packing Slip and in the Confirmation email.

I'm thinking there has got to be and easy way it to extend ofbiz to
implement this? Opposed to creating a new entity and form, etc., etc.
Like perhaps extend the order_header entity to include a serial number text
field and create a new field in the order entry webapp form so order entry
folks can insert the serial numbers.
 Then I can modify existing code to pull the information from the new field
and populate the Packing Slip and Confirmation Email. ??

Thanks, Case

Re: Advise on best way to implement ...

Posted by Ritz123 <ri...@gmail.com>.
May be you can use extra fields in the PRODUCT table like comments or long
description etc if you are not using them to store the serial #?

The other option could be, to define serial # as product attribute or even a
GoodIdentificationType.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Quite a few implementations of OFBiz have been done where serialized
inventory was required. So, you're in luck. There is quite a bit of
support already in OFBiz for manage inventory with serial numbers. It
may be that you could get by with something more simple, but I'd
recommend using this as you'll get better immediate results and it
will be more flexible over time.

Anyway, the field is InventoryItem.serialNumber and make sure to use
the inventoryItemTypeId for serialized inventory. For more info on how
that is used a search of the project will point out various areas.

-David