Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Benoit Caron <be...@netgraphe.com> on 2001/02/05 17:04:39 UTC

Environnement stability and maturity

Hello.

I'm about to give the kick-off of a new project and we want to start with
current and to-date version of software.

Will it be ok for production use to go with all-fresh version of the
mod_perl environnement : apache 1.3.17, mod_perl 1.25, perl 5.6 ? I'm going
with the latest version of Solaris (euh... what is it? I am the programmer
on that, not the sysadmins... ;o)

I'm on the impression from my reading of the list that there was some
problems with perl 5.6 : am I wrong? If not, what kind of problem should I
expect?

Thanks for any advise or experience.

Benoit Caron
Analyste-Programmeur
Netgraphe - Webfin.com - Le Web Financier
benoit.caron@netgraphe.com
"The number of Unix installations has grown to 10,
  with more expected."
-- The Unix Programmer's Manual, 2nd edition, June '72

Re: Environnement stability and maturity

Posted by Robin Berjon <ro...@knowscape.com>.
At 16:10 05/02/2001 +0000, Matt Sergeant wrote:
>There are some nasty bugs in 5.6 which tend to surface when you stretch
>perl a bit. One that AxKit brings rise to is the "Bizarre copy of ARRAY in
>aassign" (sic) bug. There are patches available to fix this though.

Yup, that was a nasty one, and it seems to surface pretty much everywhere
(a pity the test suite didn't catch it). The AS source includes the patches
for it and I never saw it come up again.

-- robin b.
"Many people would sooner die than think. In fact, they do." - Bertrand
Russell

Re: Environnement stability and maturity

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.
On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Benoit Caron wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm about to give the kick-off of a new project and we want to start with
> current and to-date version of software.
>
> Will it be ok for production use to go with all-fresh version of the
> mod_perl environnement : apache 1.3.17, mod_perl 1.25, perl 5.6 ? I'm going
> with the latest version of Solaris (euh... what is it? I am the programmer
> on that, not the sysadmins... ;o)
>
> I'm on the impression from my reading of the list that there was some
> problems with perl 5.6 : am I wrong? If not, what kind of problem should I
> expect?

There are some nasty bugs in 5.6 which tend to surface when you stretch
perl a bit. One that AxKit brings rise to is the "Bizarre copy of ARRAY in
aassign" (sic) bug. There are patches available to fix this though.

I'm still waiting for 5.6.1 before upgrading. Others have bitten the
bullet and been just fine with 5.6.0.

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Director and CTO **