Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/09 23:32:03 UTC

linux desktop integration questions

Currently, we have 4 desktop integration packs for rpm linux package
management:
* mandriva
* suse
* freedesktop
* redhat

and 1 for deb linux packages
* deb(ian) menus

Some observations about these:

In reality, the "suse" menus are kde3 based in terms of icon locations,
etc, so folks using kde4 experience integration problems.

Does anyone know -- maybe from user list or forum questions --  how often
the mandriva and redhat menus are used/installed?

The freedesktop menus work for both KDE4 and Gnome (2 and above?)

Some debian-based users are now using Gnome and KDE4 desktop environments
and may be  experiencing desktop integration problems as well (need more
information on this one).

In light of this, would it make sense to:
* rename the suse-menus to kde3-menus?
* perhaps delete the mandriva and redhat menus
* provide freedesktop menus for the debian based desktop environments as
well as "deb"
* or finally, provide desktop-integrations as a separate pack the way we do
language packs, so users could pick and choose

MzK

"Nothing will work unless you do."
                -- Maya Angelou