Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by kb...@informatica.com on 2000/10/12 20:42:11 UTC

xerces with ICU

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to address my question.
Currently xerces directly links with ICU in XML4C. No every time
my application loads, xerces loads(which is OK) however ICU and
icudata.dll(8MB and growing) also
loads up. Is there any way I could modify the xerces library to load icu
dynamically instead. When the first request for icu is made.

Thanks
Kiran

Re: xerces with ICU

Posted by Dean Roddey <dr...@charmedquark.com>.
It could be done. However, if ICU does not export the APIs that the parser
uses as "C", then the parser would have to import them via their decorated
names, which would be different on every parser. So it would get pretty
complex. Overall, I don't think its very likely to be practical.

If it was going to be done, the best way might be to write a small wrapper
DLL around ICU which just exported, as "C" functions, what we need in order
to do what's needed. The wrapper itself would still link directly to ICU, so
it could still deal with ICU without those complications.

Another option is to use the 'native' transcoders, if you don't need all of
the encodings supported by ICU.

Dean Roddey
The CIDLib C++ Frameworks
Charmed Quark Software
droddey@charmedquark.com
http://www.charmedquark.com

"It takes two buttocks to make friction"
    - African Proverb