Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> on 2001/12/17 22:19:49 UTC

Re: An SVN newbie tutorial

Sean Russell <se...@germane-software.com> writes:
> Attached is a tutorial for SVN for newbies.  It is based on my experiences
> with setting up and using SVN as a complete novice; you may find it useful,
> you may not.  I've attached the XML (sdocbook DTD) source, as well
> as an HTML generated from the source.  Feel free to modify it, or
> post it; if you send me corrections or changes and I'll modify it
> and post it back.

Sean, thanks for the tutorial.  I think we might do better to try
keeping the FAQ up-to-date and make the current INSTALL & friends
better, rather than add Yet Another Document.  (Of course there will
be general-purpose documentation soon, suitable for newbies and
others.)

If you post your tutorial somewhere & will be keeping it up to date,
though, then the Subversion home site should link to it.  Let us know.

An accuracy point, by the way: svn does not support offline tagging
and branching.

-Karl

Re: An SVN newbie tutorial

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> writes:
> > An accuracy point, by the way: svn does not support offline tagging
> > and branching.
>
> Sure we do:

Oh, I see what you mean.

Right.  The "tag" is not visible to anyone else, but it will be when
you commit, and that's what Sean must have meant by "offline"

Sorry for misunderstanding, Sean; I think you were clear, I just
didn't see all the implications.

-Karl

Re: An SVN newbie tutorial

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 04:19:49PM -0600, Karl Fogel wrote:
> An accuracy point, by the way: svn does not support offline tagging
> and branching.

Sure we do: