Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by egc <co...@verizon.net> on 2010/11/22 22:54:44 UTC

[users@httpd] interpreting Nessus scan results | TRACE & TRACK?

Greetings --

Running 2.2.17 on a CentOS 5.5 host. All the usual security tweaks (or,
at least the ones I'm familiar with) in place. Had our network types run
a Nessus scan against the host - all fine, except for the following,
which I'm having trouble interpreting (and hoping for some
'interpretative guidance' here). It suggests using a rewrite to handle
the issue (something I've never done). I'm also not entirely sure of
what TRACE and TRACK do?

Thanks in advance -- semi-newbie, so flame throwers to 'singe only'
please. ;-)

Basically, the scan found the following 'moderate risk' issue:

Synopsis :

Debugging functions are enabled on the remote web server.

Description :

The remote webserver supports the TRACE and/or TRACK methods. TRACE
and TRACK are HTTP methods that are used to debug web server
connections.

See also :

http://www.cgisecurity.com/whitehat-mirror/WH-WhitePaper_XST_ebook.pdf
http://www.apacheweek.com/issues/03-01-24
http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/288308
http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/867593
http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-66-200942-1

Solution :

Disable these methods. Refer to the plugin output for more information.

Risk factor :

Medium / CVSS Base Score : 4.3
(CVSS2#AV:N/AC:M/Au:N/C:P/I:N/A:N)
CVSS Temporal Score : 3.9
(CVSS2#E:F/RL:W/RC:C)
Public Exploit Available : true

Plugin output :

To disable these methods, add the following lines for each virtual
host in your configuration file :

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} ^(TRACE|TRACK)
RewriteRule .* - [F]

Alternatively, note that Apache versions 1.3.34, 2.0.55, and 2.2
support disabling the TRACE method natively via the 'TraceEnable'
directive.

Re: [users@httpd] interpreting Nessus scan results | TRACE & TRACK?

Posted by egc <co...@verizon.net>.

On 11/22/2010 5:04 PM, Jeroen Geilman wrote:
> On 11/22/2010 10:54 PM, egc wrote:
>> Greetings --
>>
>> Running 2.2.17 on a CentOS 5.5 host. All the usual security tweaks
>> (or, at least the ones I'm familiar with) in place. Had our network
>> types run a Nessus scan against the host - all fine, except for the
>> following, which I'm having trouble interpreting (and hoping for some
>> 'interpretative guidance' here). It suggests using a rewrite to
>> handle the issue (something I've never done). I'm also not entirely
>> sure of what TRACE and TRACK do?
>>

> The nessus text tells you exactly what they are for, and how to
> disable them.

No -- they tell *you* (perhaps) what they are. I was looking for a
pointer to some documentation so that *I* (semi-newbie) could understand
them.

Re: [users@httpd] interpreting Nessus scan results | TRACE & TRACK?

Posted by Jeroen Geilman <je...@adaptr.nl>.

--
J.

Re: [users@httpd] interpreting Nessus scan results | TRACE & TRACK?

Posted by Justin Pasher <ju...@distribion.com>.
> Running 2.2.17 on a CentOS 5.5 host. All the usual security tweaks
> (or, at least the ones I'm familiar with) in place. Had our network
> types run a Nessus scan against the host - all fine, except for the
> following, which I'm having trouble interpreting (and hoping for some
> 'interpretative guidance' here). It suggests using a rewrite to handle
> the issue (something I've never done). I'm also not entirely sure of
> what TRACE and TRACK do?

Just set the TraceEnable directive to off. The rewrite rules only apply
for older versions of apache that did not support TraceEnable.

--
Justin Pasher
Distribion