Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu> on 1998/07/08 01:55:32 UTC

Re: general/2553: URL:s containing the character 'ö' gets trucated (See also PR 800)

>Not that I'm aware of.  But, technically, it is illegal in just the same
>manner as other things and can be easily generated (ie. most common
>clients don't properly encode spaces, but require the user to do it).
>
>I'm not necessarily seriously suggesting it, just saying that there isn't
>that much difference between it and other things...

Very similar, but not quite the same, because whitespace, angle brackets,
and double-quotes are considered delimiters of URI.  Allowing the
inclusion of delimiters makes it too easy to break interoperability
with various clients.  We could of course return a redirect with the
spaces replaced with %20.

Another problem is that the request-line has in the past been extended by
adding things to the end, based on the theory that most servers will
ignore anything past what they currently expect to receive.  That makes
looking for an ending HTTP-version kinda messy.

Given that we don't support it now, and I'd much rather just force
the lazy bastards to fix their links, I'd prefer to send a 404 or 400
in response instead of trying to fix the request.  It's for their own good.

....Roy