Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/24 11:25:02 UTC

Invitation to join Apache Mahout as a committer

Hi Sebastian, in light of your past and ongoing contributions to
Apache Mahout, the project management committee would like to invite
you to join the project as a committer. If you would like to accept,
there are a few tasks to complete.

See the new committer's guide here:
http://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html

The first step is to complete the CLA:
http://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html#cla

Let me know when that's done and I'll continue the process.

Sean

Re: Invitation to join Apache Mahout as a committer

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Thank you for the invitation. I'd love to be a committer.

I will complete the CLA and let you know when this is done.

--sebastian

PS: I used the wrong email on the last response, this is the correct one :)

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
On Mon Sebastian Schelter <ss...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> @isabel: Looking forward to the Hackathon!

    When - Weekend or some random afternoon?

    and where? - depending on the above answer I can get in touch with
    people at co-up or newthinking. Maybe there is some space at FU/
    TU/ Uni Potsdam or HPI? Some local companies interested in
    Hadoop/ Lucene topics spring to mind as well.

I know a few other people here who are working on and with Mahout or
are just generally interested. Will ping them as well - though most
should be on this list anyway ;)

Oh - and please feel invited to join the (roughly) monthly Apache Dinner
Berlin [1, 2] as well as the Apache Hadoop Get Together Berlin
(hopefully as a speaker ;) ).

Isabel

[1] <http://tinyurl.com/apachedinner>,

Re: Invitation to join Apache Mahout as a committer

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

I'm glad to have the opportunity to be part of this wonderful project. I
have always liked the principles of open source software (in fact I
think they should be applied to lots of other fields too) and I've been
a fan of Apache for a long time.

So a few words about myself...

I'm 28 years old, moved from Bavaria to Berlin after school and now live
in the district Kreuzberg. I'm currently finishing my studies of
computer science at "Freie Universität Berlin" with my diploma thesis
titled "Comparison of several methods for product recommendation in
E-Commerce" for which I'm using Mahout as a technical basis.

Besides my studies I've been working in the software industry for 6
years now, mainly building web applications in Java for several German
companies like edarling.de, groupon.de or zalando.de. Two years ago I
was involved in the development of eCareer, a career platform where I
had to implement the search and recommender system. I ran into lots of
interesting information retrieval related problems while doing this and
began to read about the theoretical background. That was also the time
when I stumbled upon Apache Mahout. I found out that the world of
information retrieval and machine learning is much more interesting to
me than traditional software engineering (and I found out that I should
have paid much more attention in my linear algebra classes :)). I had
wanted to participate in an Apache project for a long time and this year
I finally found the courage to contribute. I'm very happy about the
feedback I got in this project, I'm looking forward to learning a lot
and I think it's safe to assume we're producing a great piece of software!

I'm having a vegan diet for nearly ten years now, I like skateboarding
and tabletop games and I have started several projects that are
currently on hold due to lack of time and/or funding, including a search
engine for vegan products, a platform where people can create their own
Maniac-Mansion-style point-and-click adventure games (and have their
friends play them online) as well as a  multithreaded Java webcrawler
programmable in JavaScript.

I hope that wasn't too much information ;)

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <se...@zalando.de>.
Hi,