Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Duffy <du...@yahoo.com> on 2003/10/02 15:42:59 UTC

JSTL App Runs Under Tomcat 4.1.27, Fails Under Tomcat 4.0.6

I'm cross-posting this problem that I've already sent
to the Tomcat users list, without success.  I'm having
that problem with a JSTL app failing under Tomcat
4.0.6.  The error is "No such tag redirect in the tag
library imported with prefix c".  I get a single line
in the stderr.log: "No tags".

The c.tld in the standard.jar calls for class
org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.el.core.RedirectTag to
implement the tag.  I can see that class, and its file
path, in the standard.jar.  I've got the standard.jar
in the WEB-INF/lib of my WAR file, so it's in
the CLASSPATH.

I've deployed two other WARs that use JSTL (an echo
application and an ad hoc SQL query page) under Tomcat
4.0.6, and they both deploy without a problem.

ALL THREE JSTL apps deploy and run perfectly under
Tomcat 4.1.27.

I'm asking Tomcat 4.0.6 to find the .tld files inside
the standard.jar.  I don't have any <taglib> tags in
my web.xml.  The working echo and data-source apps are
both deployed that way.

I reinstalled Tomcat 4.0.6 and make sure that I didn't
add a single JAR to the common/lib directory, except
for JDK tools.jar.  (Tomcat couldn't find it, for some
reason.)

I did a Google search on "Tomcat No Tags".  It
suggested that Tomcat 4.0.6 might have an out-of-date
servlet.jar file, so I replaced it with the one that
Tomcat 4.1.27 uses.  No good - same problem.

What is so special about Tomcat 4.0.6 that I can't use
JSTL in this one app?  Has anyone seen this and
managed to fix it? - MOD

Re: JSTL App Runs Under Tomcat 4.1.27, Fails Under Tomcat 4.0.6

Posted by Michael Duffy <du...@yahoo.com>.
Sorry to be a dirty cross-poster.

Yoav Shapiro has provided me with hope.  When I told
him I was running Tomcat 4.0.6 as a Windows service,
he suggested that I shut it down and start Tomcat on
the command line using startup.bat.

When I did that, the app that was failing came right
up without a problem.

I'm not sure what the root cause is here, and I'd
still like to know what's wrong so I can fix it.  But
at least I have some direction now, thanks to Yoav
Shapiro. - MOD