Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Nawaz Ahmed <na...@progress.com> on 2009/05/21 11:02:56 UTC

Observations from Master Slave setup

Hi ,

I was trying to configure a pure master slave configuration with Fuse
Message broker 5.3.0.1 . First I tried without security. I created two
brokers in different machines. The transport connectors looked like
this:

 <transportConnector name="openwire" uri="tcp://machine_name:61720"
discoveryUri="multicast://default" />

This configuration worked fine.

After this I tried with security.

I gave master brokers transport connector as <transportConnector
name="openwire" uri="tcp://machine_name:61720"
discoveryUri="multicast://default" />.

Then I configured a simple authentication plugin as follows.

<plugins>

  <simpleAuthenticationPlugin>

                <users>

                                <authenticationUser username="system"
password="manager"

                                                groups="users,admins"/>

                                <authenticationUser username="user"
password="password"

                                                groups="users"/>

                                <authenticationUser username="guest"
password="password" groups="guests"/>

                </users>

 </simpleAuthenticationPlugin>

</plugins>

After doing this the master broker didn't start. I threw security
exception that passwords don't match. But when I changed the transport
connector to <transportConnector name="openwire"
uri="tcp://localhost:61720"  discoveryUri="multicast://default" /> it
started fine.

After this the slave broker in another machine could not connect to the
master. It threw connection refused exception. But when I configured the
slave in the same machine as master with different port numbers for
transport connectors  it successfully attached itself with the master.

Finally I removed the discoveryUri="multicast://default" from the
transport connectors. Then everything worked fine. The master slave got
working in two different machines with machine names in their transport
connectors URI.

>From the following observations I have a few questions:

1.       Why the broker throws a security exception of User name or
password is invalid if I use the following transport connector.

               <transportConnector name="openwire"
uri="tcp://machine_name:61720"  discoveryUri="multicast://default" />.

2.       Why the exception vanishes if I use localhost  instead of
machine name.

3.       Even if the master starts with localhost the slave in other
machine gets connection refused exception.

4.       When I remove the discovery URI from the transport connectors
everything works fine.

Any suggestions on this will be appreciated.

Regards,

Nawaz Ahmed