Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> on 2016/04/01 07:36:34 UTC

Re: SVN compatibility question

Eric Ahlstrom wrote on Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 11:53:03 -0600:
> renaming/reorganizing files requires incredibly complex work arounds.

What workaround?  Do you refer to the need to call 'svn mv' to tell svn
about the rename?

Normally, 'svn mv' does two things: (a) rename the file on disk,
(b) record in .svn/ that the rename had happened.  As of 1.8, we allow
the user to tell 'svn mv' to do only (b).  We don't expose that ability
in the standard command-line client, but it's available to API users
(such as tortoisesvn and bindings scripts) via the 'metadata_only'
parameter to svn_client_move7().

No idea about your other questions...

Daniel

Question for SolidWorks users (was: Re: SVN compatibility question)

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Eric Ahlstrom wrote on Fri, Apr 01, 2016 at 04:38:06 -0600:
> I appreciate all input on my rfi, we are specifically asking for input from
> Solidworks users with experience using svn as their basis pdm.

Changed the subject to draw their attention.  (SolidWorks users: see
Eric's first post in the thread.)

Re: SVN compatibility question

Posted by Eric Ahlstrom <er...@borsight.com>.

Posted by Lorenz <lo...@yahoo.com>.
Branko ?ibej wrote:
>On 01.04.2016 10:21, Johan Corveleyn wrote:
>>> I've been thinking that allowing users to perform a metadata-only move
>>> with 'svn mv' might save people running into this common rookie mistake
>>> some hair... If they look at 'svn help mv' to find this new hypothetical
>>> --meta-data-only option, that is. (We could re-use the --record-only
>>> option from 'svn merge' as a name.)
>> +1. Sounds like a good idea to me.
>
>Yup, and ditto for 'svn copy'; I know that SmartSVN has an option to
>find and fix up such mistakes, and apparently that's a very popular feature.

TortoiseSVN too
--

Lorenz

Re: SVN compatibility question

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 01.04.2016 10:21, Johan Corveleyn wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 9:32 AM, Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de> wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 01, 2016 at 05:36:34AM +0000, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
>>> Normally, 'svn mv' does two things: (a) rename the file on disk,
>>> (b) record in .svn/ that the rename had happened.  As of 1.8, we allow
>>> the user to tell 'svn mv' to do only (b).  We don't expose that ability
>>> in the standard command-line client, but it's available to API users
>>> (such as tortoisesvn and bindings scripts) via the 'metadata_only'
>>> parameter to svn_client_move7().
>> I've been thinking that allowing users to perform a metadata-only move
>> with 'svn mv' might save people running into this common rookie mistake
>> some hair... If they look at 'svn help mv' to find this new hypothetical
>> --meta-data-only option, that is. (We could re-use the --record-only
>> option from 'svn merge' as a name.)
> +1. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Yup, and ditto for 'svn copy'; I know that SmartSVN has an option to
find and fix up such mistakes, and apparently that's a very popular feature.

-- Brane

Re: SVN compatibility question

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.