Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bobby Walker <bo...@icloud.com> on 2014/02/23 17:42:14 UTC

Tomcat 7 on FreeBSD

I am new to using Tomcat, but I am being given a website from another server.   I've setup and configured Tomcat 7 on FreeBSD 10.  I've got the webapp installed and when I visit the page i get the information posted at the bottom of the message.

It appears to me that there's a problem with org.apache.jasper.util.SystemLogHandler.   I have searched for this.  As far as I can tell all of the right ports are installed on the server, specifically I think maven2 is the one I need according to what little information I could find on the topic.

Any help on resolving this error would be very greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Bobby

type Exception report

message Servlet.init() for servlet jsp threw exception

description The server encountered an internal error that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet.init() for servlet jsp threw exception
	org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:472)
	org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:99)
	org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:953)
	org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:408)
	org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1008)
	org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:589)
	org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:310)
	java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1146)
	java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:701)

root cause

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/jasper/util/SystemLogHandler
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.init(JspServlet.java:77)
	org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:472)
	org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:99)
	org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:953)
	org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:408)
	org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1008)
	org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:589)
	org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:310)
	java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1146)
	java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:701)

root cause

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.jasper.util.SystemLogHandler
	org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1714)
	org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1559)

Re: Tomcat 7 on FreeBSD

Posted by Bobby Walker <bo...@icloud.com>.
On Feb 24, 2014, at 3:28 AM, Mikolaj Rydzewski <mi...@ceti.pl> wrote:

> On 24.02.2014 00:09, Bobby Walker wrote:
>> The FreeBSD way is install via ports.  However, I will go this route
>> and see what happens.
>
> I used to use FreeBSD when versions 5-6 were in use.
> I remember that Java port was not as stable as the Linux one. Compiled one had some problems, as well as the one ran with Linux compatibility enabled.
> Is it better nowadays?
>
> --
> Mikolaj Rydzewski <mi...@ceti.pl>

I am definitely not a Linux fan at all.   This is my first attempt to use Tomcat, so I really can't answer that question.  What I can say about it is that it installed from ports very cleanly, using the openjdk6 port, and was up and running in short order with minimal fuss.

The fuss is a result of the web application that I'm trying to run on the platform.  As an earlier poster mentioned, the jasper-runtime has been out since before 6.x.  So, I installed the last 5.x version and that indeed solved that issue, and created a new one too.

I am next going to try to load the project and see if I can do anything to build it to more modern libraries.

Re: Tomcat 7 on FreeBSD

Posted by Mikolaj Rydzewski <mi...@ceti.pl>.

Re: Tomcat 7 on FreeBSD

Posted by Bobby Walker <bo...@icloud.com>.
The FreeBSD way is install via ports.  However, I will go this route and see what happens.

Thanks!

Re: Tomcat 7 on FreeBSD

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.