Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Franz <mf...@praja.com> on 2000/11/13 23:02:04 UTC

Why do I have to use 8080 in URL?

On my server, I can run .jsp files by using the URL string
http://servername/dir/file.jsp <http://servername/dir/file.jsp>   But on my
dev machine running Workstation 4.0 and the option pack PWS I have to use
http://machinename:8080/dir/file.jsp <http://machinename:8080/dir/file.jsp>
I have gone through all the properties I can think of but nothing works to
alieviate this requirement to use 8080 in the URL.

Any ideas?

Mark G. Franz

Re: Why do I have to use 8080 in URL?

Posted by "Michael J. Suzio" <ms...@iss.net>.
Mark Franz wrote:
> on my dev machine running Workstation 4.0 and the option
> pack PWS I have to use
> http://machinename:8080/dir/file.jsp
> I have gone through all the properties I can think of but
> nothing works to alieviate this requirement to use
> 8080 in the URL.

Your PWS option pack probably installed a Web server on port 80, so
Tomcat can't use that port.  Thus, it has to use some other port,
8080 is the suggested default.  When you try to use port 80,
what happens?

--
Michael J. Suzio
Lead Software Engineer -- ISS Southfield