Posted to common-commits@hadoop.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2008/10/20 19:57:24 UTC

[Hadoop Wiki] Trivial Update of "HBase/RoadMaps" by stack

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Hadoop Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by stack:
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HBase/RoadMaps

The comment on the change is:
Add link

   Currently HBase is hardcoded to use the Hadoop !MapFile as its base file system type (i.e. the SSTable from the Bigtable paper). Experience has shown the Hadoop !MapFile type as suboptimal given HBase access patterns. For example, the !MapFile index is ignorant of HBase 'rows'. We would change HBase to instead run against a file interface [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-61 (HBASE-61 Create an HBase-specific MapFile implementation)]. A configuration option would dictate which file format implementation an HBase instance would use, just as you can swap 'engines' in MySQL.

   Once the abstraction work had finished, we would add a new file format to go against this interface to replace Hadoop !MapFile. The new file format would be more amenable to HBase I/O patterns. It will either be the TFile specified in the attachment to [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-3315 HADOOP-3315 New binary format] or something similar.
+
+ Here are some notes on [http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/NewFileFormat new file format]

   * Redo HBase RPC