Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Trevor Jenkins <tr...@suneidesis.com> on 2002/03/12 12:01:45 UTC

Re: [FOP-USER] [ANNOUNCEMENT] Fop 0.20.3 released

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de> wrote:

> FOP 0.20.3 is finally available at http://xml.apache.org/dist/fop
> for downloading.
>
> The main reason for this release is the conformance to the XSL-FO
> Version 1.0 W3C Recommendation.

Does this mean that I can now use the Norm Walsh XSLT stylesheets
"shrink-wrapped"? I had problems doing this with 0.20.2 as previosuly
reported to this list. If I can't use them shrink wrapped what must I do
to use the latest versions of Norm's work?

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living language.
Support the campaign for formal recognition by the British government now!
Details at http://www.fdp.org.uk/ or http://www.bsl-march.co.uk/

--

<>< Re: deemed!

Re: [FOP-USER] Re: [FOP-USER] [ANNOUNCEMENT] Fop 0.20.3 released

Posted by Trevor Jenkins <tr...@suneidesis.com>.
On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de> wrote:

> Trevor Jenkins wrote:
>
> > Does this mean that I can now use the Norm Walsh XSLT stylesheets
> > "shrink-wrapped"?
>
> Yes, Docbook stylesheets (I assume you are talking about those)
> *should* work without changes but if you get the desired output is
> another question ;-)

Great ... provided that FOP implements the features properly and doesn't
baulk at the size/complexity of the document I'll get it to produce what
my customer wants. I suspect that the xref stuff will take some getting
right.

> Docbook compatibility is one of the things I would like to have a
> look at in the next time.

This document will test FOP's DocBook comatibility as the current source
file (an api manual) is over 1.5Mb, has some 300 refentry occurences, and
makes extensive use of DocBook structures with verbose markup. The final
version is projected to be over 3Mb, in addition to the refentry stuff
will contain a dozen or so chapters of tutorial material, and have
extensive examples added to each existing refentry. Indeed the final file
size would be much larger than that but for loads of entity declarations
for boiler-plate text in those refentry ocurrences. Being an api manual
there are hundreds of xref elements; perhaps 1,500 of them.

When I tried FOP 0.20.2 it took some 7 minutes elapsed time to report the
initial error with a 0.5Mb file size. Frustratingly that first error was
to report that certain features of Norman Walsh DocBook stylesheets were
not then supported. Actually the (elapsed) time isn't that important as
this will only be an ocassional re-generation. Might have be re-done every
6 months to a year but no more than that.

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
Trevor Jenkins wrote:

> Does this mean that I can now use the Norm Walsh XSLT stylesheets
> "shrink-wrapped"? I had problems doing this with 0.20.2 as previosuly
> reported to this list. If I can't use them shrink wrapped what must I do
> to use the latest versions of Norm's work?

Yes, Docbook stylesheets (I assume you are talking about those)
*should* work without changes but if you get the desired output is
another question ;-)

Docbook compatibility is one of the things I would like to have a
look at in the next time.

> Regards, Trevor

Christian