Posted to dev@daffodil.apache.org by Mike Beckerle <mb...@tresys.com> on 2018/02/22 17:30:46 UTC

more scaladoc needed?

I was looking at our javadoc and scaladoc for rc2, as linked from here:

https://daffodil.apache.org/releases/2.1.0/

My mental experiment was to write my own Java InfosetOutputter (something requested by folks at AFRL) to directly output RDF triples from a parse.

This turns out to be impossible, as our scaladoc for InfosetOutputter, does not allow one to drill into the DISimple, DIComplex or DIArray classes/traits of the arguments to the InfosetOutputter method calls.

Do we provide the general scaladoc tree for all of daffodil anywhere online other than in a javadoc archive that can be pulled as a managed dependency?

Re: Daffodil-1909 (JAPI/SAPI thing)

Posted by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org>.
The JAPI/SAPI are essentially just wrappers around internal things. This
is necessary for the Java side of things since some Scala concepts are
difficult to represent in Java (e.g. enums) so there's kindof a mapping
from scala land to java land. The SAPI mimics the Java API for consistency.

The two are very very very similar, but has a few main differences.

The first is making for a Java friendly API. For example, as mentioned
earlier, the JAPI includes Java enums for things like ValidationMode and
Logging. There are also a couple places where the Java API will return a
java.util.List whereas the Scala API will return a scala Seq.

The other issue that prevents merging the two is that I found it
difficult to create ScalaDoc that would also create JavaDoc. Use use a
plugin to convert scaladoc to javadoc, and it works fairly well, but
some valid scaladoc just doesn't convert to Javadoc well, so the
scaladoc needs to be input different than normal. Also things like
example code needs to be in java vs scala, which makes things trickier.

- Steve.

Re: more scaladoc needed?

Posted by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org>.