Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by AlskiOnTheWeb <al...@hotmail.com> on 2008/01/22 19:52:42 UTC

Can anyone build 1.2 from the soource repository?

Hi all,

I first downloaded the source tar and tried to build that. No go as it was
missing some snapshots now. Not knowing the slightest bit about maven (nor
wanting to really), I pulled a source tree of the 1.2 tag. I am using Sun's
JDK 1.5.0_12 with Maven 2.0.8 trying to build source from
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/tags/1.2. If I try "mvn
install" as the build instructions suggest, I get:

Downloading:
http://repository.codehaus.org/org/apache/geronimo/plugins/car-maven-plugin/1.2/car-maven-plugin-1.2.jar
Downloading:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/geronimo/plugins/car-maven-plugin/1.2/car-maven-plugin-1.2.jar
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Plugin could not be found - check that the goal name is correct:
Unable to download the artifact from any repository

Then, install it using the command:
    mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.apache.geronimo.plugins
-DartifactId=car-maven-plugin -Dversion=1.2 -Dpackaging=maven-plugin
-Dfile=/path/to/file

there:
    mvn deploy:deploy-file -DgroupId=org.apache.geronimo.plugins
-DartifactId=car-maven-plugin -Dversion=1.2 -Dpackaging=maven-plugin
-Dfile=/path/to/file -Durl=[url] -DrepositoryId=[id]

  org.apache.geronimo.plugins:car-maven-plugin:maven-plugin:1.2

from the specified remote repositories:
  codehaus (http://repository.codehaus.org),
  apache-snapshots (http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository),
  codehaus-snapshots (http://snapshots.repository.codehaus.org)

  org.apache.geronimo.plugins:car-maven-plugin:maven-plugin:1.2

from the specified remote repositories:
  codehaus (http://repository.codehaus.org),
  apache-snapshots (http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository),
  codehaus-snapshots (http://snapshots.repository.codehaus.org)

[INFO]
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: 1 minute 45 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Tue Jan 22 13:47:53 EST 2008
[INFO] Final Memory: 36M/65M
[INFO]

I have no idea what it means by "Try downloading the file manually from the
project website.". I tried the first suggestion it had of "mvn
install:install-file -DgroupId=org.apache.geronimo.plugins
-DartifactId=car-maven-plugin -Dversion=1.2 -Dpackaging=maven-plugin
-Dfile=/path/to/file" but that didn't seem to do anything (and yes, I did
try and point it at the proper jar, not /path/to/file ;-)).

I guess I have two queistions:

1) Has anyone gotten this to build recently and if so, in laymans terms,
what did you do to maven to make it build?

2) Is there a "here's the most common problems with maven and how to solve
them" for geronimo anywhere? Seems from looking that the use of maven has
been more a curse than a blessing here and now I see why...so much for build
repeatability.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Alski

Re: Can anyone build 1.2 from the soource repository?

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Jan 22, 2008, at 12:28 PM, AlskiOnTheWeb wrote:

> ..Well, unless I'm mistaken, the geronimo deployment descriptors
> (such as
> geronimo-application.xml) have changed.. Since we host a number of
> customer
> applications, we've spec'd the descriptors from 1.x. That's really the
> biggest reason but we're also to trying to limit any regression
> testing we
> need to do. Will 2.x deploy 1.x applications properly?

There are one or two incompatibilities that I know about:

1. run-as and default subjects need quite different security
configuration.  This has to be upgraded by hand.
2. (I'm less sure of this one) EjB 2.1 CMP entity beans need quite
different configuration and are pretty slow in geronimo 2.x.
Basically CMP support is provided so your app will work while you
migrate to JPA.  I'm not 100% sure but I think you have to replace
the mapping descriptors for tranql used in geronimo 1.x with a jpa
orm file.  We might do the translation automatically however.

Other than that I'd expect applications that deploy on 1.x to deploy
on 2.x

thanks
david jencks

Posted by AlskiOnTheWeb <al...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by AlskiOnTheWeb <al...@hotmail.com>.
...OK, after tracking down some revision problems, I changed the openejb
version to 2.2-incubating and fixed the yoko version in the pom it
downloaded. Man, is maven a tangled web of lost dependencies... Anyway, I've
got it built.

Is this version of openejb a problem, it wanted the 2.3-incubating but that
didn't exist.

Thanks.

Alski

Posted by AlskiOnTheWeb <al...@hotmail.com>.

  apache-incubator (http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository)

Posted by AlskiOnTheWeb <al...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by "Jay D. McHugh" <ja...@jnwd.net>.
Hello again.

Posted by "Jay D. McHugh" <ja...@jnwd.net>.
Hello,

Even though 1.2 was never released - I was using it in production (as a
snapshot) for quite a while.  I believe there was only one issue that
held it back from being released (I'll have to go back to check though).

I would suspect that the only thing you would need to get your build to
finish is using the 'bootstrap' flag that David mentioned.

I'm checking this now to make sure and I'll let you know.

Jay

Posted by AlskiOnTheWeb <al...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.