Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jason Nesbitt <ja...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/11 16:10:13 UTC

getting authentication information from apache

I'm using apache as a front end to my tomcat 5.5 server and they are
connected through the AJP 1.3 Connector.  The problem I am having is that
the authentication info doesn't seem like its getting propagated from apache
to tomcat.  When I call request.getRemoteUser() it returns null though I was
authenticated through apache.  The weird thing is that we have a
tomcat 4.0container that the same apache server directs some requests
to and the
authentication information is propagated without a problem.  It however is
using the older tomcat4.Ajp13Connector though.
The following is the Connector element in my tomcat 5.5 server.xml file
<Connector port="8010" enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443"
protocol="AJP/1.3" />

Any hints?

Thanks

Jason

Re: getting authentication information from apache

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.
I don't know of a way to make that happen, sorry.

I don't think Apache's authentication mechanism permits (what are
effectively) proxy sources access to the request in that way.

Posted by Marc Farrow <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the tip Pid.  How do you go the other way?  What if I have an
Apache installation on a server and I want to authenticate through Tomcat
and then pass that principal to Apache..  Is this possible?  They are not
connected using a connector.

On 8/11/06, Jason Nesbitt <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> wow.  I must have glazed right over that when looking at the
> documentation.
>
> Thanks!
>
> On 8/11/06, Pid <p...@pidster.com> wrote:
> >
> > http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/ajp.html
> >
> > set <Connector ... tomcatAuthentication="false" ...>
> >

> > Jason Nesbitt wrote:
> > > I'm using apache as a front end to my tomcat 5.5 server and they are
> > > connected through the AJP 1.3 Connector.  The problem I am having is
> > that
> > > the authentication info doesn't seem like its getting propagated from
> > > apache
> > > to tomcat.  When I call request.getRemoteUser() it returns null though
> > > was
> > > authenticated through apache.  The weird thing is that we have a
> > > tomcat 4.0container that the same apache server directs some requests
> > > to and the
> > > authentication information is propagated without a problem.  It
> however
> > is
> > > using the older tomcat4.Ajp13Connector though.
> > > The following is the Connector element in my tomcat 5.5 server.xmlfile
> > > <Connector port="8010" enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443"
> > > protocol="AJP/1.3" />
> > >
> > > Any hints?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Jason

Marc Farrow

Re: getting authentication information from apache

Posted by Jason Nesbitt <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.