Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Christoph Gaffga <cg...@triplemind.com> on 2003/09/30 14:43:40 UTC

Strange Perfomance Issue, Tomcat more than 10 times slower than Jetty

hi,

i posted this issue before, and decided to run my test with another servlet
container, before saying: it a problem with tomcat.
(I'm running tomcat 4.1.27 with JDK 1.4.2 on RH8)

I have a small test class, that
- Lookup an Entity EJB
- get a property from the Bean
- serialize the bean using betwixt

I runned the classes main-method form different environments, but all with
the same jvm parameters (-server -Xms1200m -Xmx1200m).
In tomcat it slowes down dramaticly:

          |Command Line | from Servlet | from Servlet
          |             | in Tomcat    | in Jetty
----------+-------------+--------------+---------------
Lookup    |  144 ms     |  2490 ms     |   143 ms
Getter    |   17 ms     |  2843 ms     |    21 ms
Serialize |  708 ms     | 64147 ms     |   947 ms

Has anybody an idea what causes this slowdown, or anybody seen something
similar before? What am I doing wrong?
Any help would be apriciated.

Thanks a lot,

regards
Christoph Gaffga
cgaffga@triplemind.com

Re: Strange Perfomance Issue, Tomcat more than 10 times slower than Jetty

Posted by Christoph Gaffga <cg...@triplemind.com>.
No, haven't tried that yet. But I think I need remote method invokation,
because the bussines logic and the presentation layer should be on different
machines.

But I give it a try. First wanted to see, why betwixt is so slow. It seems
to me that it has something to do with the classloaders. So introspection is
slow!?

I'll check tomorrow, perheaps we don't have to switch to jetty (hope so)

Christoph

Posted by Christoph Gaffga <cg...@triplemind.com>.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.