Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> on 2012/07/04 05:32:17 UTC

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Hadoop branch-1.1 and Release Plan for Hadoop-1.1.0

Hi Matt.

I am picking up the hat of BigTop's maintainer for Hadoop 1.x line. And I
wanted to sync up with about the Hadoop 1.1 release outlook, progress, what help
you might need, etc.

I see a few jiras left open in the release
    http://is.gd/OyuaNQ
Is this the correct representation of the current status?
How I can help from BigTop side (I haven't yet finalized the stack's
versions), etc. Looking forward for your input. Thanks.

  Cos

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Also, I have updated HADOOP-8417 against 1.1.0 and we need to include it.
Otherwise, 1.1 will have the same issues for the downstream projects as 1.0.3
had.

Cos

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Re: Cutting new branch to work on 0.3.1 release (Hadoop 1.1 line)

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.
On 07/07/2012 06:16 PM, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 07, 2012 at 06:12PM, Bruno Mahé wrote:
>> On 07/07/2012 06:08 PM, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
>>> Guys,
>>>
>>> I'd like to cut new release branch for future BigTop 0.3.1 that is going to be
>>> based on Hadoop 1.1
>>>
>>> Any objections?
>>>
>>> Cos
>>>

>> +1 provided patches in branch-0.3.1 would also be in branch-0.3
>> (surely a given, but it is better to clarify).
>
> actually, it seems like a bit of double work. The purpose of having a separate
> release branch is to well... separate the states of 0.3 and 0.3.1 release,
> because the latter might include a different set of component version (from
> have been in 0.3). backporting such patches would I am sure create quite a
> confusion. Don't you think?
>
> Cos

Unless I am missing something, a 0.3.1 branch should only exist in order
to stabilize the 0.3 branch for the coming release.
So any additional work on 0.3 out of scope for the 0.3.1 can still be
checked in and be part of a 0.3.2 release (ex: I want to backport giraph
or add some other project to the 0.3 branch, outside of the BOM of
0.3.1). But any bugfix in 0.3.1 would still be needed for any future 0.3
branch. And as well, any version 0.3.2 should contain the same set of
components at the same version or later than the ones in 0.3.1.

If we are not at the point where new features in branch-0.3 can
interfere with the stabilization of 0.3.1, branching for 0.3.1 can
probably be delayed.

Thanks,
Bruno

Re: Cutting new branch to work on 0.3.1 release (Hadoop 1.1 line)

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Jul 07, 2012 at 06:11PM, Bruno Mahé wrote:
> Sure, but:
> * you still need to start somewhere :)
> * this whole thread is strictly about Apache Hadoop (except the last
> paragraph of your last email), not Apache Bigtop 0.3.X (incubating)

I am not sure what this means :-)

> Given that latest 1.0.X of Apache Hadoop could not even build,
> ensuring Apache Hadoop 1.1 can build and run would be a good start.

Yup, makes sense ;)

Cos

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.
Sure, but: