Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Peter <ji...@zeus.net.au> on 2014/01/25 02:01:04 UTC

Qa_refactor - the positives

I know you hear a lot of negatives about qa_refactor work...

Here are the positives:

Backward compatible API (anything otherwise would be a bug)
Many Jira issues addressed.
Numerous data races fixed.
Safe construction of all objects with final fields
FindBugs analysis performed.
Generics where it makes sense (not service api)
Utilises modern concurrency classes and constructs.
Removal of a multitude of performance killing unnecessary DNS calls.
Only calls DNS when downloading or if it absolutely has to.

Performance - increases during stress tests suggest orders of magnitude improvement.  If Jini remote calls are hotspots for you, this matters.

I've one job left to complete, replace TaskManager, then it's up to you, the community to decide if you want this.

Ultimately it's your choice, if you want it, you need to do some peer review and speak up, otherwise it will never see light of day, you'll be stuck with buggy circa java 1.4 style or earlier code on modern jvm's performing new optimisations that expose these issues in deployed environments.

Remember the major argument cited against is, this code has not been peer reviewed.

Cheers,

Peter.