Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by STEVE R BURRUS <st...@yahoo.com> on 2002/06/25 04:46:06 UTC

Craig, how do I .......

Craig, how do I go about starting to work with Java Servlets and Java Server Pages
in Tomcat's Web Container context?! You seem to be pretty damn knowledgeable about
all aspects of Tomcat--just going by the answers which I have seen you supply to
various users questions--so I REALLY THOUGHT that you could answer my query too.

Re: Craig, how do I .......

Posted by Brett Porter <bp...@f2network.com.au>.
Craig already wrote this:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/appdev/index.html

And can I recommend this:

Re: Craig, how do I .......

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, STEVE R BURRUS wrote:

> Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 19:46:06 -0700 (PDT)
> From: STEVE R BURRUS <st...@yahoo.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Craig, how do I .......
>
> Craig, how do I go about starting to work with Java Servlets and Java
> Server Pages in Tomcat's Web Container context?! You seem to be pretty
> damn knowledgeable about all aspects of Tomcat

Well, I originally wrote the large majority of the servlet container in
Tomcat 4.x :-)

>--just going by the
> answers which I have seen you supply to various users questions--so I
> REALLY THOUGHT that you could answer my query too.

What I would do is find a good tutorial on the basic concepts.  This may
sound like a blatant commercial (since I work for Sun), but I highly
recommend that you consider downloading the Java Web Services Developer
Pack (which includes Tomcat)  and the corresponding tutorial (totalling
about 600 pages), from <http://java.sun.com/webservices>.  This package
has a very nice installer to set things up for you, and the tutorial
covers a very wide range of web related technologies, including coverage
over the very issue discussed in this mail thread (Ant tasks for dynamic
application deployment).  If you prefer GUI based tools for application
deployment, it even includes a customized version of "deploytool" from the
J2EE reference implementation as well.

Craig