Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jason Milley <jc...@nortel.com> on 2006/09/07 17:03:12 UTC

[users@httpd] No virt hosts but need suexec for directories

I have a need to run different CGI programs as different user IDs and
turned to suexec.  The problem is that suexec only works for virtual
hosts and/or user directories.  My setup uses neither virtual hosts
nor user directories.

In suexec terms I understand the following:

Using Virtual Hosts
http://user1.virthost.com/cgi-bin/x can run as user1
http://user2.virthost.com/cgi-bin/x can run as user2
(setting SuexecUserGroup properly in the VirtualHost definition)

Using User Directories
http://www.hostname.com/~user1/x can run as user1
http://www.hostname.com/~user2/x can run as user2
(CGI's are located in the appropriate users public_html directory in
their account)

What I am looking for is
http://www.hostname.com/user1/x can run as user1
http://www.hostname.com/user2/x can run as user2
(user1 and user2 do not have accounts on the system but instead /user1
and /user2 are aliases to different local directories)

The way I describe the problem in Apache config terms is "I need
suexec functionality for the <Directory> directive"

I have considered cgiwrap for this however cgiwrap requires changes to
the URLs to embed the cgiwrap wrapper.  This would mean application
changes and redirection due to existing URLs people have bookmarked.
Seems kludgy.

mod_cgiwrap looked cool as it offered cgiwrap functionality without
the URL issues.  Unfortunately mod_cgiwrap is no longer under
development and applies only to Apache 1.3x (I am running 2.0x).

Any pointers would be appreciated.  I am about to look at mod_rewrite
to see if there are some funky URL translation activities I can use to
address the URL issues with cgiwrap.

Jason Milley
jcmilley@nortel.com
--- Nortel takes no responsibility for ---
---  opinions expressed in this email  ---

Re: [users@httpd] No virt hosts but need suexec for directories

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 9/7/06, Jason Milley <jc...@nortel.com> wrote:

> I have considered cgiwrap for this however cgiwrap requires changes to
> the URLs to embed the cgiwrap wrapper.  This would mean application
> changes and redirection due to existing URLs people have bookmarked.
> Seems kludgy.

I think cgiwrap is the only solution.  I'm not a cgiwrap expert, but I
believe you can hide the ugly URLs using mod_rewrite.

Joshua.