Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Michael Davey <Mi...@coderage.org> on 2003/07/01 16:38:13 UTC

[site][patch] vendors.xml - add Collabra Ltd

Hi,

Here is a patch to add Collabra Ltd as a complete solution provider on
the vendors page.

Cheers,
--
Michael

Re: The vendors page

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
-1

While (1) is no longer an issue (c'mon, it wasn't a real issue when the
vendor page was first created!), (2) is still true.

And the main things I disagree with is that criteria of "support" vs.
support should be committer status of one of the company employees. There
should definitely be some (more or less strict) "lameness" review of each
submission, but making it elitist just doesn't make sense.

Say for instance someone has a company that does a training course on a
number of Jakarta projects. None of the course instructors are Jakarta
committers, but they still educate the world about OpenSource software and
make whatever money they can while serving the community in their own way.
Is it that bad to list them on the vendor page?

Andrus Adamchik

Re: The vendors page

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 15:58:37 -0400
(Subject: The vendors page)
"Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> wrote:

> The original intent of the vendors.xml page was:
>
>  1. Because I got sick of hearing people say "Jakarta projects are not
> supported" and wanted a page to send people to during presentations.
>
>  2. So a certain unnamed committer would not feel the need to spam
> the lists (because I though if he got away with it, others would start
> doing it and then I'd get lists full of consultancy spam).
>
> Now that Open Source is no longer a commercial cussword and I doubt
> even an economic turnaround will kill the momentum, I think that the
> policy for that page ought to be "just have one of the committers you
> employ on the Jakarta projects you support make the change".  Thus
> tightening it from people who "support" Jakarta projects to people who
> support Jakarta projects.
>
> Thoughts/Objections?

I agree, but with qualifications.

How about preparing new page for the companies/vendors which have no
'committer' in jakarta? Just devide into the vendors.html
and vendorlist.html.
And make vendors.html for the vendors which employ the committers and
vendorlist.html for the vendors which do not employ the committers.

I really want to prepare the vendorlist.html with the list of the
regions (Asia, US, Europe, etc.). Apache-Jakarta is suffering the
shortage of the Asian vendors' support.

If there will be no 'another page' which can complement the vendors.html,
I oppose to your opinions (especially the requirement for *committership*).

Sincerely,

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)

E-mail: kitahata@bb.mbn.or.jp : tetsuya@apache.org
http://www.terra-intl.com/
(Apache Jakarta Translation, Japanese)
http://jakarta.terra-intl.com/

Re: The vendors page

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
Ah... what's going on with this below finally??

Discussions have gone away in a dense fog??

Sincerely,

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 19:58:06 +0100
(Subject: Re: The vendors page)

Re: The vendors page

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

RE: The vendors page

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@owal.co.uk>.

Re: The vendors page

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
The problem is that ALL projects are ALWAYS desperate for help.  Its just
often they need help from a particular kind of person.  POI for instance
needs people who LIKE hex dumps and can think at a binary level.  That¹s a
very small minority of Java developers.

Other projects have various other needs, but I doubt any project would say
"yeah, we're overstaffed"...

On 7/2/03 2:14 PM, "Brian McCallister" <mc...@forthillcompany.com>
wrote:

> It might be useful for projects who *need* help to let that be known in
> some easy-to-find way. Some projects are well staffed, some are
> understaffed. If you are involved with several of the project mailing
> lists it becomes more clear, but if you are say, a company who wants to
> contribute effort and talent it might be tough to figure out which
> projects need manpower.
>
> While no project is going to be accepted into Jakarta without a
> development community around it, there are always places that need more
> help than others.
>
> Just my 2 cents.
>
> -Brian
>
> On Wednesday, July 2, 2003, at 02:00 PM, Howard M. Lewis Ship wrote:
>
>>> Perhaps over time, he would get known and accepted in the
>>> community and
>>> someone would choose to nominate him for committer priviledges.
>>>  Obviously, that is something that Collabra would have very little
>>> control over.
>>>

>> If you have someone with talent and a decent amount of time to spend,
>> my experience is that they can
>> become a committer pretty quickly.  If they are providing quality
>> mentoring and patches, it quickly
>> becomes easier to vote them in as a committer than to manually apply
>> their patches.  So if your
>> primary goal is to establish Collabra's rep and your incidental goal
>> is to be listed on the vendors
>> page, start now and see results soon.
>>
>> --
>> Howard M. Lewis Ship
>> Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components
>> http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

Re: The vendors page

Posted by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>.

RE: The vendors page

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@comcast.net>.

Re: The vendors page

Posted by Michael Davey <Mi...@coderage.org>.
Howard M. Lewis Ship wrote:

>I'm tending towards the argument that if you can convince someone who has the right access to update
>the vendors.xml
>page, then you deserve to be on the list.

My motivation for attempting to add Collabra to the list was with the
long-term plan of moving one of my engineers to a full time open source
role in response to the additional business that the entry produced.
 Right now we make the occasional contribution to other Open Source
projects but virtually no contributions to Apache (and those were done
in employees' own time).  If there is enough paid Jakarta work to keep
one of my engineers busy for 3 or 4 days a week, the decision to ask him
to "find other Jakarta stuff to do" for the rest of his time is an easy
one to make.

Perhaps over time, he would get known and accepted in the community and
someone would choose to nominate him for committer priviledges.
 Obviously, that is something that Collabra would have very little
control over.

An alternative would be to employ an existing committer (perhaps
poaching them from their existing employer).  A side-effect would be
that they would then be obligated for the most part to work on features
that Collabra deems important, rather than what the wider community
wants, thus actually reducing the capacity of the Jakarta project to
achieve its aims.  This goes completely against our corporate philosophy
and, IMHO, the spirit of the communtiy and I won't do it.

I guess what I am saying is that we are a small company with limited
resources (heck, even Sendmail, Inc. only contributes ~50 man-hours per
week to freeware sendmail). We want to help out and give something back
to the community (beyond increasing the install base and training
users), but we need you to help us help you.

--
Michael Davey
Technical Director

Re: The vendors page

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Okay, then I shall for now on dutifully ignore patches to the page from
names I do not recognize.  I, personally, am unlikely to commit patches at
all (figuring most should be able to commit them themselves with the rare
exceptions mentioned) from this point on.

-Andy

On 7/2/03 9:51 AM, "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I'm tending towards the argument that if you can convince someone who has the
> right access to update
> the vendors.xml
> page, then you deserve to be on the list.
>
> --
> Howard M. Lewis Ship
> Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

RE: The vendors page

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@comcast.net>.

Re: The vendors page

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: The vendors page

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
Andrew C. Oliver escribió:
> The original intent of the vendors.xml page was:
>
>  1. Because I got sick of hearing people say "Jakarta projects are not
> supported" and wanted a page to send people to during presentations.
>
>  2. So a certain unnamed committer would not feel the need to spam the lists
> (because I though if he got away with it, others would start doing it and
> then I'd get lists full of consultancy spam).
>
> Now that Open Source is no longer a commercial cussword and I doubt even an
> economic turnaround will kill the momentum, I think that the policy for that
> page ought to be "just have one of the committers you employ on the Jakarta
> projects you support make the change".  Thus tightening it from people who
> "support" Jakarta projects to people who support Jakarta projects.
>
> Thoughts/Objections?

+1 It is a simple test of reasonable support, not just lurking.

I would not say "you employ", but "just convince one jakarta commiter to
make the change". This would ensure at least some level of communication
(like sending it to the project -dev list and discussing it there, etc.)

It the spirit of Open Source, if a Company is not able to have a fluid
relation with at least one committer of one of the projects they
support, I can't see how they can claim support of the projects.

Note I'm saying less than Andy. Not "employing" a committer, but
channelling the change through one committer. The company maybe
contributed some patches or docs, or just good answers in the -user
list, but the project committers should be aware of them existing and
supporting the project.

> -Andy

Regards
--
Santiago Gala
High Sierra Technology, S.L. (http://hisitech.com)

The vendors page

Re: [site][patch] vendors.xml - add Collabra Ltd

Posted by Michael Davey <Mi...@coderage.org>.
Danny Angus wrote:

>I can't see how Collabra are relevant to a list of companies offering support and experise in jakarta porducts.
>Perhaps you can explain.

Danny,

Perhaps I misunderstood the types of vendors that 'qualify' for a
listing on the vendors page.

The special projects group at Collabra provides design, development,
consultancy and support services for various elements of the Apache
Jakarta Project:

    * Ant
    * Maven
    * Struts
    * Velocity

--
Michael

RE: [site][patch] vendors.xml - add Collabra Ltd

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Davey <Mi...@coderage.org>.

--
Michael