Posted to women@apache.org by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> on 2005/09/01 19:10:08 UTC

Re: AW: Is posting to this list easy or hard?

Tanja.Witzke@nuernberger.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I don't feel concerned about the archival of this list, because already at the moment I post something it's almost public.
>
> In my opinion the only thing that could make somebody shy away is the rude conversation at some other
> Mailinglists. But at the moment I can't see any any hint that the conversation on this list will become unfriendly.

This is a friendly zone! But along those lines, I've been looking for a
good "net etiquette" guide to link to from
http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_mail.html .

Right now it links to http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
, which is a pretty good guide on asking smart questions. But there are
a couple things I don't like about it. First of all, it's really long.
Second, I don't agree with its admonition to "Write in clear,
grammatical, correctly-spelled language".  I wouldn't want someone who
doesn't speak English as a first language to feel like they shouldn't
post. Once upon a time (long, long ago) I worked as a Spanish translator
in southern California. But that was 25 years ago and I'm no longer
fluent, though I can stumble along ok still. I would feel quite
intimidated to post to a list in Spanish if the expectation was the post
had to be grammatically correct.  I think we need to be tolerant of
participant's backgrounds and welcome what they have to offer, whether
the language is grammatical and correctly-spelled or not.

I've been searching for a shorter guide on the net and here's another
thing I don't like. Some of these guides seem to indicate that it's ok
to flame others as long as you surround the flame with a warning; for
example, inside a block of FLAME ON/OFF tags. I disagree. I think that
if someone feels they need to include what they have to say inside a
FLAME ON/OFF block, then it's time to step back, cool down, and rethink
what they're writing because the message is likely to get completely
lost, consumed by the flame.

Does anyone have a favorite net etiquette guide?

  -jean

Re: our nettiquette guide (Was: Is posting to this list easy or hard?)

Posted by Astrid 'Kess' Keßler <ke...@kess-net.de>.
On Tuesday 06 September 2005 01:16, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> I'm getting a page not found error for
> http://www.apache.org/dev/contrib-mail-tips.html . Could you doublecheck
> that url? I'm definitely interested -- if somewhat delayed in getting
> around to looking at it.

The correct url is http://www.apache.org/dev/contrib-email-tips.html

 Kess

Re: our nettiquette guide (Was: Is posting to this list easy or hard?)

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> I'm getting a page not found error for
> http://www.apache.org/dev/contrib-mail-tips.html . Could you doublecheck
> that url? I'm definitely interested -- if somewhat delayed in getting
> around to looking at it.
I believe that was supposed to be:

http://www.apache.org/dev/contrib-email-tips.html

--
END
                 Nothing is impossible.

Consultant / http://p6m7g8.net/Resume/
   http://www.liquidityservicesinc.com
        http://www.liquidation.com
        http://www.uksurplus.com
        http://www.govliquidation.com
        http://www.gowholesale.com

Re: our nettiquette guide (Was: Is posting to this list easy or hard?)

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.