Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2002/04/03 15:58:20 UTC

Re: Substractive view labels (long)

Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Stefano, the above "outside-in" sentence shed a completely new light on
> my understanding of views, and I'm now convinced that views should start
> from the last label !

That's great!

> The point that made me wait before answering was about the execution of
> indirect components and their possible side-effects (actions). I now
> think that side effects of indirect components are part of a pipeline
> semantics. And views should not change this semantic, but only provide a
> different mmmh... view ;) on the pipeline result.

Precisely :) the name 'view' in fact, comes exactly from this thought!

> So branching on a view should not change the actions taken in the
> pipeline. If we need different side-effects, then we should consider
> having different pipelines. What do you think ?

Absolutely! in fact, the design pattern I use for 'is this a view or
another resource' is something along the lines of:

 if this 'data I need' can be applied to an entire collection of
 resources, I need a  view, otherwise, I need another resource.

> Ah, and since you gave us so brilliant explanations, would you please
> (finally ;) consider answering my other question about views and
> aggregation ?

I'm doing right after this.

> In short, the question is about the behaviour associated
> to <map:part> labels ? Should they cause view branching, or only filter
> those parts that belong to the view, branching being decided by the
> labels on <map:aggregate>. My (current) opinion is filtering, but you
> may again have an explanation that will make me change my mind.
>
> Again, see
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=101683844805545 for
> more details on this.
>
> Thanks for being such a great mind and sharing it with us.

I'm no great mind, Sylvain, I'm just overly concerned by esthetic
elegance :)

And believe me, here it is considered a value, in some other realms
surely it is not :/

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.